ford mondeo st24 '98 cambelt - paton
hello i have a '98 mondeo st24 when i purchased the car last year i took if for a service and to get cambelt done only to be told that it was chain driven. I'm getting concerned now because some '98 st24s are being listed on ebay saying they have had a recent cambelt change!! Does anyone know which is true, not really good with cars is there an easy way for me to check. i have noticed on the listings on ebay none of the st24 listed with recent cambelt change have got the st24 bodykit. ANY FEEDBACK WOULD BE FANTASTIC...REGARDS
ford mondeo st24 '98 cambelt - davidh
Hi,

All V^ Mondeos have an American designed 2.5 litre engine with chain driven camshafts.

HTH

David.
ford mondeo st24 '98 cambelt - jc2
St24 have the American designed engine-early V6 Mondeos(and Cougars) had a V6 of just over 2.5 litres that was a Mazda engine.This was replaced with a Ford engine of just under 2.5l. built in Wales.The Mazda was the largest of a range of small V6;the Ford is the smallest of a range of large V6.Parts are NOT interchangeable.
ford mondeo st24 '98 cambelt - cheddar
St24 have the American designed engine-early V6 Mondeos(and Cougars) had a
V6 of just over 2.5 litres that was a Mazda engine.This
was replaced with a Ford engine of just under 2.5l. >>

Are you sure? IIRC all Mondeos have a version of the same chain cam V6, again IIRC this was initially around 2550cc though later something like 2495cc. The Cougar followed the same pattern though the Ford Probe had the Mazda V6.

An ST24 is a MkII Mondeo so will be the 2495 ish cc 170 bhp unit.
ford mondeo st24 '98 cambelt - jc2
The larger engine(common with Probe) was used in early V6 Mondeo and Cougar and was a Mazda engine;It was replaced by the UK built engine of just under 2.5l and,as I said,ST24 will have the later,smaller engine.Though outwardly similar,parts are not interchangeable between the two engines.
ford mondeo st24 '98 cambelt - Robin the Technician
At least if its the same as the Probe V6 its a safe engine - which means if the belt snaps the valves don't get bent. Changing the belt on a Probe is dead easy.
--
These are the views of Robin the Technician with 35 years in the trade. I fix, therefore I am...
ford mondeo st24 '98 cambelt - cheddar
>>The larger engine(common with Probe) was used in early V6 Mondeo and Cougar and was a Mazda engine;It was replaced by the UK built engine of just under 2.5l and,as I said,ST24 will have the later,smaller engine.Though outwardly similar,parts are not interchangeable between the two engines.>>

But the Mazda engine in the Probe was 2497cc.

From Wikipedia (not guaratnteed to be accurate though fits with my thoights on this:

----

The Duratec 25 is a 2.5 L (2544 cc) 60° V6 and was introduced in 1994. It was developed for the Ford Mondeo .................

Duratec VE
The 2.5 L, 170 hp V6 used in the second generation Ford Mondeo is called the Duratec VE. Displacement was decreased from 2544 to 2495 cc.

----
ford mondeo st24 '98 cambelt - Dave N
I had one of the very first 24v Mondeos, simply called a Mondeo 24V, not LX, Ghia etc. It was N reg, and they came with steel wheels, no front fogs or anything. It definately had a cam chain, as the tensioner went and it rattled on first start-up. I think the filth bought most of them.
ford mondeo st24 '98 cambelt - kithmo
I don't know of any V6 Mondeos with a Cam belt, AFAIK they're all chain driven.
ford mondeo st24 '98 cambelt - paton
my engine is the duratec 2544cc so working from your replys below i definatly have a chain..... yes?