play in steering rack - mot. Peugeot 306 - scfc_151
as the car is soon due for an mot and after doing the usual checks ive found that there is some play in the rack on the drivers side.

This is felt if pulling the wheel towards me (away from the car) but there is no play at 10 o'clock and 4 o'clock if that makes sence

I was wondering if play there would be an mot fail as it still drives fine apart from the odd clunk over certain bumps. There steering also feels good and strong
play in steering rack - mot - RichardW
If there's play in any of the joints, it will fail. I an't really figure out what you're describing, but it sounds like it might be the bottom ball joint. Play in a track rod end usually manifests itself as 3 / 9 o'clock play.
--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
play in steering rack - mot - scfc_151
sorry i couldnt be more decriptive Richard

When it went to the garage last the mechanic told me there was some play in the rack but he had seen much worse and he thought it would be ok

It doesnt cause any problems apart from the odd clunk

I dont fancy getting a new rack unless its vital. But if theres any play that it might fail on ill have to give in to it
play in steering rack - mot - Dynamic Dave
Have a read up on here on what it will pass or fail on.

www.motuk.co.uk/manual/contents.htm

btw, is this your Pug 306 with the problems? If so, I'll add it to the subject header in case a Peugeot expert drops by.
play in steering rack - mot - scfc_151
yeah thanks for that dave

its a 306 hdi estate with 170,000 miles