Engine knock! Rover 25 Impression - Roger Beveridge
Dear John,
I have recently purchased a new Rover 25 Impression 1.4. As I normally run with the blower on, it was not until I turned it off that I heard a slight knocking coming from the engine. Is this usual for the K Series engine?

Regards, Roger Beveridge.
Re: Engine knock! Rover 25 Impression - Andy
Roger - I owned two 200 (pre-facelift 25's) models, and I noticed they both sounded rather 'diesel-like' for the first couple of minutes after a cold start.
Apart from this, the cars were truly excellent, with only a noisy electric window spoiling the fun.
Re: Engine knock! Rover 25 Impression - Tongy
Hi, Roger.

I currently work for a Rover main dealership in West Yorkshire. First of all I suggest you check the engine oil level. If all is well, take the car back to the main dealer who supplied it, they will fix the fault free under warranty. The noise could be coming from the hydraulic tappets or the camshaft - hope this helps.
Re: Engine knock! Rover 25 Impression - Steve Boreham
"As I normally run with the blower on..."

I never knew they were supercharged! ;-)
Re: Engine knock! Rover 25 Impression - Mahatma Coate
Am I losing the plot but I'm sure I saw a transporter with some "new" Rover 200s on the M3 the other day - didn't they become Rover 25s aeons ago?

These were all dark blue and were definitely new.
Re: Engine knock! Rover 25 Impression - Dave Lacey aka Dr Dave
I doubt it.....
Engine knock! Rover 25 Impression - Dave Lacey aka Dr Dave
Roger

Is the noise there at all times? Or is it a tapping noise (engine hot and idling) that can be heard inside the car, which sounds remarkably like small end/piston noise?

If it is, it will be the Charcoal canister purge valve pulsing; the mechanical noise of this is transmitted into the passenger compartment via the bulkhead and sounds very alarming.

A simple fix by means of 'bush modification' and all will be well. All MGR Dealers 'should' be aware of this fix.

Please let me know the outcome..