how to clean up a smokey 306 hdi diesel? - scfc_151
I own a 306 hdi (2000) and went on a long run over the weekend. I thought it would be a good time for some injector treatment along the way. The car at the minute feels great, lovely and smooth so it was just because i had some in the shed. I drove around 400 miles at the weekend and thought it would give the injectors etc a good clean out.

The day after i noticed it was still quite smokey in the rear veiw mirror with headlights on the exhaust and without the car particularly being tested.

I was wondering what other things can be done as i have my mot comming in 2 months. The oil and all filters were changed 1000miles ago (3 weeks)

any suggestions?

ps can anyone tell me if the new millers power sport 4 diesel treatment is suitable for a 306 hdi?
how to clean up a smokey diesel? - jc2
I can certainly see my exhaust in the headlights of following cars at night but it has always walked the smoke test ast less then half the limit.
how to clean up a smokey diesel? - scfc_151
usually when i use to take it for the mot or take any other car the engine would be nice and warm with a good few revs under its belt along the way and they always sailed through

now due to works hours etc the garage i use (who takes it for the mot) has probably let the engine cool if its been stood for hours.

Im just a bit apprehensive this time
how to clean up a smokey diesel? - piston power
Try a new air filter & fuel filter first don't just clean up the old filter, then see how it is usually this is all is needed, if not pump timing, valve clearance's, you could drain the tank clean out and refill with fresh new diesel. good luck
how to clean up a smokey diesel? - Altea Ego
My oil burners have always left a distinct cloud as viewed in my mirror againts following headlights. All sail the smoke test
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
how to clean up a smokey diesel? - FP
Agree with most of the responses here. My 306 HDi chucks out plenty of smoke if I boot it and take the revs up to 3500 plus and it always looks worse seen in the rear-view mirror at night through following headlights. (Looks pretty horrendous, actually.) My filters (air and fuel) are regularly changed.

I use Miller's most of the time and there's never been a problem with the MoT.
how to clean up a smokey diesel? - mark
My local ATS does a good trade selling bottles of Forte Diesel Treatment at £10 a bottle to the local taxi driver population prior to their trips to the testing station.

Most seem to bung a bottle in according to the ATS manager "just to make sure" they get through.

As always

Mark
how to clean up a smokey diesel? - scfc_151
thanks for all the replies

I change my filters regularly and this was done when the oil was changed so i know that the air and fuel are both clean

i also use millers when i fill up so it sounds like this is the norm and it looks worse under headlights

ill just keep my fingers crossed when it goes in.
how to clean up a smokey diesel? - Bromptonaut
If youre really bothered get an objective view by letting somebody else to drive the car while you follow, but illumination by following headlights (or sun behind) show the slightest trace of smoke.

Occasionaly give the Xantia a boot as I hit NSL exiting the village giving a smokescreen that would grace a cuttlefish but it sails the MoT.
how to clean up a smokey diesel? - David Horn
Same story as the others, but I save up my soot to dump over tailgaters. 4th gear at 80mph cleans the cack out the exhaust nicely. ;)
how to clean up a smokey diesel? - dieselhead
A dirty MAF sensor, boost leak (common at the joint to the inlet manifold) and a sticky EGR valve can all increase smoke. Try plugging the vacuum pipe to the egr valve and see if it makes any difference.