Service with a sneer - Robin Reliant
I went in to my local branch of a well known fast fit chain today for a pre-booked oil and filter chain. I noticed that they seemed to have all new staff since my last visit about five months ago. With the forum's policy in mind I shall of course not divulge their name....

SNIP 8< - you didn't think you'd really get away with that, did you Tom? DD

Anyway, left the car with them and spent an hour kicking my heels round town while the job was being done. When I returned the fitter was closing the bonnet, so thinking the job was done I wandered over. I was then informed that they could not change the oil because someone had rounded the drain plug nut. On seeing my raised eybrows the guy told me that they did not have a socket that would grip it, and when i suggested a mole grip he cocked a deaf 'un. I pointed out that they had done the last change so their fitter must have damaged it, and asked when they would be able to do it.

This was answered with a shrug of the shoulders and a suggestion that I take it somewhere else before he walked away! No rudeness or shouting on my part, so i said nothing that could have put his back up. I've had all my oil changes done by them, plus tyres and Mots, same with the other half's car, plus having motorcycle tyres fitted in return for a drink.

I suppose they can afford to lose the business, the one man band I went to in a small village later in the day was happy to do the job in twenty minutes, including the rounded sump plug. I though that sort of attitude to customers had died out years ago.
--
Service with a sneer - L'escargot
Since fast-fit establishments (except RapidFit departments of Ford main dealers) generally employ unskilled labour it's no more than I would expect. I give them a wide berth.
--
L\'escargot.
Service with a sneer - cheddar
I agree with Le's, RapidFit, Renault Minute, Masterfit etc tend to be the best of breed because they are attached to main dealers.
Service with a sneer - OldHand
I suggest you contact head office in writing with your story. If for example the national chain was Kwik Fit (not saying it was) they have a policy of giving you financial recompense for bad service.
Although these places may employ a lot of muppets surely even they could carry out something relatively simple like this. Of course if you do take your car to these sort of places I wouldn't recommend abandoning it to their tender mercies but stay and watch what they do like a hawk (and make sure they know you are).
Service with a sneer - Blue {P}
I've extolled the virtues of the Furham branch of Rapid Fit many times in this site, it's one of only ywo garages where I don't think I've been deliberately messed about!

Blue