Subaru Legacy - replacing brake discs - Nsar
Took the Legacy in for 36k service.
I told them about about a slight vibration I've been feeling when braking.
They said they had found a slight lip on the front discs but it wasn't anything to worry about and they ground the pads down a little to get a good bonbd betwween pad and disc.
Drove off next day (50 miles later) I'm tooling along a country lane and making good progress, not hard driving by any means, go into bend and find the wheel is vibrating really hard as if wheel nuts were loose.
Get it back into delaership who say the discs are worn its's not warranty work and new ones will cost me £200 and something VAT
Call Subaru tech dept who speak to dealer who is now "skimming" the discs under warranty. I get the car back tomorrow.

Any thoughts? Dealer says discs can wear out in under 40k miles - i suggested to him that this was not the case and if they are worn, how is skimming metal off the surface going to help?

This is a main dealer who hasn't been with Subaru long and the car is under warranty having been bought as an approved vehicle.

replacing brake discs - LHM
The dealer is quite right about discs wearing out in under 40k miles. The change to asbestos-free pads seems to have accelerated disc wear, and discs are now seen as 'consumable' as pads :-(

Skimming will help 'true' the surfaces - but must not leave the disc thinner than the manufacturer's stated minimum. Obviously, new pads must be fitted when this is done. In practice, few garages bother with skimming anymore - I assume profits are greater on replacements!
replacing brake discs - Finwhale
I have a Sub outback which now has 53000 on the clock. I replaced the (all) brake pads at 51000. The rears did not need it but did them anyway. The rotors are good for at least another 50K. There IS a problem with your brakes, whether self , heavy foot or "riding the pedal" or whatever. NO the brakes should be good for more than 40K unless some of the forementioned are true,
replacing brake discs - Aprilia
Don't like the sound of 'grinding down the pads'!

Skimming is perfectly acceptable way to restore new flat and parallel surfaces to the disc (although new discs would be better). Usually there is a 'minimum thickness' stamped on the disc. They should also fit new pads at the same time.
replacing brake discs - Nsar
I stand corrected on wear out rates of discs.

Still pretty dischuffed about a dealer doing work which seems to have made the problem worse and then asking a lot of money to put it right.

Surprised that discs are seen as consumables within a 3 year warranty period

replacing brake discs - nick
So are clutch plates, it all depends on how you drive. Is it an auto?
Yes it is an auto, I am a quick driver, but I'm no quicker now than with other cars that have had much higher mileages and not had discs changed.

Oh well....you live and learn I suppose

replacing brake discs - Dynamic Dave
Surprised that discs are seen as consumables within a 3 year warranty period

Wear and tear item. Usually the only exception is if they physically break or crack (excluding going beyond min thickness requirements)
replacing brake discs - tr7v8
One of the reason I sold my Legacy, the brakes were fantastic but so were the running costs! I knew it'd need discs & pads at the 30K service so it went at 23K!
Always wanted one, was very disappointed when I got it, dealer carp, 3 weeks to order exhaust box under warranty, very expensive to service & very thirsty.
As for grinding or refacing pads, no problem, done it on lots of cars where they're glazed up.
On a fast driven large auto then it is true that discs may not make it to 40k. In fact I would say most cars need new discs by 60-70k these days. this is partly due to harder pad compounds.
Typically you need new discs on every second set of pads.
Skimming is quite acceptable. I get charged under £30 for a pair of discs to be skimmed (24 hour turnaround from local reconditioners). On-car disc skimming machines are also out there - just make sure they clean the swarf off the ABS sensors!

Really, replacing discs and pads is no big deal and any garage should be able to do it for you - not just main dealer. One problem is that main dealer like replacing 'friction parts' because margins are very high, its a simple straightforward job and the customer rarely quibbles about brake work. With cars becoming more reliable, brake replacement has become a major source of income.
Should add that Subaru discs can be obtained at sensible prices. I think Legacy discs are around £80-90 a pair from the dealer, probably half that from a specilist factor.
Car back today with its skimmed discs done under warranty after Subaru had a word with the dealer. All seems fine.

Thanks for your comments