Ford Explorer LPG misfire on petrol - yintong5
Recently I bought a 2000 model Ford Explorer converted to run on LPG (dual-fuel - Romano system; no idea whether it's fully sequential or not)
When running on LPG, it runs lovely and smooth, but when I switch to petrol (it needs to start up on petrol, then switches over) it runs with the most appalling misfire.
It's currently back in the Garage where, they reckon, it needs new plugs/HT leads. I don't quite understand this because it works fine on LPG, which uses the exact-same igniton system. Of course, if it comes out of the garage working fine, then that's ok, but any ideas may be appreciated in case this becomes a recurring problem.
Oh yes, once this misfire started, there were a lot of problems trying to get it to switch over to LPG.
Ford Explorer LPG misfire on petrol - Humperdink
Hi Yintong,

I had my car Jaguar Xtype converted to LPG a little while one of the issue when it was converted was that it misfired when switched over to petrol having run on LPG.

They had to put in a module to the ecu to fix this and it now works fine.

Reckon your problem could be similar especially as the jaguar also runs off a ford 3 litre duratec petrol engine.

Kush
Ford Explorer LPG misfire on petrol - Screwloose
yintong5

Maybe this is an injector circuit fault. On many installations they cut into the injector wiring to feed the emulator.

Many of the LPG installations, that I've seen, look like they've been wired by a chimp. It's possible that their joint may have failed and one injector no longer works. Have a look for badly-taped loom repairs; or get a code-read done..
Ford Explorer LPG misfire on petrol - yintong5
Thanks for the replies.
I now have the car back and she drives lovely.
The words I picked up from the dealers (who were a little lost themselves I think before they sent it off to the 'experts') were 'emulator 'and 'wiring' and there is certainly evidence of some new wiring around the injectors. It looks then, like Screwloose was on the right track all along.
However, there's no saying that the dealers haven't been taking a sneaky peek at Honest Johns Backroom themselves!
Thanks once again.
Stuart
Ford Explorer LPG misfire on petrol - Greg R
From my very basic knowledge, I understand that on LPG, HT leads and electrics work a lot harder than on petrol - LPG and petrol burn at different temperatures I suppose.

New HT leads and plugs would be my first point of call.

I would also say that my car runs differently on LPG and Petrol - it is like as if once it gets used to LPG, the car needs to run a bit to get it to like petrol again!

I would also say that I have a carina e 2.0i 1993 car, and I just had the head gasket replaced. I understand that LPG runs hotter than petrol does, and this might have had some implications on this fault. But it could also be becuase of the fact that carina's are known for head gasket faults. Also, within its early life it only covered 15,000 miles - so rust and lack of use probably was a big factor.

I now run the car with the heater on - my theory is that if on lpg the car runs hotter, the cooling effect from the fan will keep the temperature low!

Greg
Ford Explorer LPG misfire on petrol - jc2
As I have said before,if you see Scotchloks and jubilee clips on a conversion,walk away.