Number Plates - Dave H
I have recently ordered a new car and when I asked the garage if they could ensure the number plates were plain with only the registration number on, I was told that their name and post code had to on, by law.

Is this correct and if so what is the reason behind it?

DH
Re: Number Plates - Dan J
Absolute twoddle! They simply have to comply with letter spacing and typeface regs.

Sounds like the dealer is being awkward and wants his (her?) name on the back of your new motor...

You could walk out the dealer and get new plates made up at Halfords - they ain't going to put the dealers name on the bottom and you'll certainly be breaking no laws.

Best rgds!

Dan
Re: Number Plates - Brian
It is correct.
It is to make the plates traceable, in case you are tempted to have a set of falsies to avoid scameras, parking tickets, congestion charging etc.
Law states than anywhere that makes up plates must demand and see a V5 for the vehicle before they'll make up a set of plates.

Useless really as

1. Most places don't seem to be aware of the law or care
2. Doesn't stop you making your own plates up anyway - The less scrupulous of people out there just nick a plate of a similar parked car...
Re: Number Plates - Graham
I don't know.

It sounds like free advertising to me. I also hate the idea that the dealer should put stickers etc not just in the rear window but also on the paint work. We do people tolerate this? McGill did a particularly distasteful logo thing Yuk.
Re: Number Plates - terryb
I'm afraid that however much Dan J blusters, this is correct. To extract from the DVLA web site:

A new British Standard is introduced from 1 September 2001 replacing the current British Standard. It sets out the physical characteristics of the number plate. This includes:

Visibility

Strength

Reflectivity

The new British standard will require a number plate to be marked with:

The number of the British Standard (from 1 September 2001 this will be BS AU 145d).

The name, trade mark (or other means of identification) of the maker.

Name and postcode of the supplying outlet.

This is from
www.dvla.gov.uk/vehicles/regmarks/reg_marks_newrul...m

Terry
Fair play Terry! Still doesn't stop him getting plates made up afterwards though without the dealers name on...
Re: Number Plates - Derek
True, but presumably any reputable supplier will have to comply with the law and show their name. Don't Halfords put their name on plates?
True, Dan, but it's a hell of an expense and trouble just to get rid of a dealer's name and postcode.

Now, if they were sticking their name on a transfer on the car's paintwork it's be a different matter.....
Re: Number Plates - John S
Terry

As I understand it, it is still legal to have non-reflective B + W plates on pre 73 cars. ie historic vehicle = B + W plates.

There should be an exception for the older cars somewhere, but I'm wondering if there is a crafty method of getting rid of these by stealth by specifying that all new plates must meet the new BS.

I certainly don't want a set of reflective plates on the Minor!

Regards

john
Yes, the web site also gives details of the exception for pre-73 cars
Re: Number Plates - Richard Hall
Presumably you can no longer buy those self adhesive DIY plates for trailers? As usual, the bureaucrats introduce complex rules which won't do anything to stop the villains. If criminals can get hold of illegal handguns, a set of numberplates shouldn't pose too much of a challenge.
Re: Number Plates - Brian
Self-adhesive numbers and the blank backing strips can be sold until stocks run out.
So buy now whilst you have the chance.
Pain in the butt for caravans and trailers where the fixings for a solid plate may not be adequate, still if it "falls off" and you go through a scamera shortly afterwards .................. "Sorry, Officer, it was there when I left home"
Re: Number Plates - John R
When do we get the blue panel at the side with ?uro stars or country flag on the plate?

John R
Re: Number Plates - smokie
This is an optional (expensive!) extra at Halfords. Not sure it will ever be obligatory though.
Re: Number Plates - Kev
Dont have to.......

Can now put a Union jack/St. Gorge's flag on though, dont have to have european thing on, however you have to have a GB sticker on

Kev
Re: Number Plates - j.cronin
Local car spares place 2/3 Halford's price.
Re: Number Plates - KB
They're here already. Had plates made up last September with aforesaid panel in situ.

Can't see a problem with having dealers details on, although they have gone up in price a bit. Not exactly the end of the world though - worse things happen at sea.

KB
Re: Number Plates - Mark (Brazil)
One advantage that you may not have considered...

All number plates must have the name of the maker on them. You may not be able to read this from any distance, but you can see that there is something there.

This does not, unless it changed recently, apply to police cars since the police make up their own plates.

Therefore, it is clear, even from a reasonable distance that there is nothing there.

Ever wondered if that car you were following was an unmarked police car ?
Re: Number Plates - Tomo
Ta!
Re: Number Plates - T.Lucas
Sorry to say but the days when plods cars had plane No plates have long gone,and often have supplying dealer stickers in the rear window also.Applies to marked and unmarked cars.
Re: Number Plates - Richard Turpin
The British Standard "BS" number has long been compulsory on plates. It is an offence not to have it and carries 3 points like virtually all construction and use regulations.
If you want old style plates you can get them for "non road use" eg classics on display/films etc
Re: Number Plates - Steve G
Yes,this applies to new cars....
But do they keep record of who purchased replacement number plates ?
Most used cars have some kind of dealership/lease company info on thier number plates. If i purchase new plates from Halfords and pay with cash how can they trace them ?
Re: Number Plates - vansboy
The local nursery school appreciated all of our old style letters that we gave them when the new ones were introduced! We thought we would have been able to use them and mix n match on older vehicles, unfortunately it's not so.

As for being able to ID Police vehicles from the plates, the number of covert vehicles registered on Home Office bulk registrations, that we have sold, together with the non standard vehicle paint colour chosen is much more of a giveaway than checking for a dealers ID on the plate!
Mark.
Re: Number Plates - Dave N
The law doesn't yet require production of V5 or driving licence etc.
Re: Number Plates - PhiL P
Walked into Halfords few of months back to get some plates made up for my Focus.

Wasn't asked for V5, proof of ownership, ID, name, address or anything, just told the guy behind the counter the Reg No I wanted.

He asked me if I would like to have something printed below the main lettering, a free of charge personalisation, so I said just put "Focus" and chose the font of my preference.

No other identifiers on the plates, which incidentally were the EU variety at my request.
Re: Number Plates - Denis O
Of course, there is an advantage to having the supplying dealers name on your plates. It can be a sign that the vehicle has not been involved in a front or rear shunt.
When buying second hand cars, privately, I always look to see if the plate is the original.
This check is obviously not infallible but worth a thought.
Remember, not all shunts will be recorded on HPi, AA Datacheck etc.
Re: Number Plates - David W
Dennis,

That's the first thing I look at when I inspect a car. Many good reasons for no dealer logo on the plate but it is well worth checking out.

All the large and small number plate suppliers round here ask for a V5 and put their postcode on the plate as a minimum.

I don't know why but that postcode niggles me on the new front plate bought for the old Land Rover.

I gather there is a good trade at the one place still doing non-postcode plates but they are very short of number 4's.

David