Driving with no tax or M.O.T - mk124
........ is an easy thing to do.

My story starts with me being foolish to forget when my M.O.T ran out. I am bad at things like that, like remembering dates, times and numbers etc. Only when the DVLA wrote to me to say my tax needed renewing did I dig out my M.O.T certifcate and find out it was 2 months out of date. I phoned up a garage I trust and they said the car could come in a week later. During this time my tax also expired and I still had to drive my car to get to work.
I now happily have a valid M.O.T certificate and will be getting my tax done on saturday. Forgive me for driving an unroad worthy, (and thus prehapps uninsured?) can without tax), but it can easily be done.

I feel I am quite an average person, who forgets things from time to time. What gets my goat is how easy it is to forget ones M.O.T until a tax reminder comes through the door.

Why can't the DVLA and VOSA link their tax and M.O.T databases? If we can send letters out to people so they don't forget to make a contribution to Gordon Brown, why is it so difficult to send letters out to people to remind them to get their M.O.Ts done?

There are many stupid people who drive without M.O.T, insurance and tax, but that is because they don't want to pay out for them, not forget about them.

-----------------------------------------------

Torque means nothing without RPM
Driving with no tax or M.O.T - Jemima Can
A diary's good ;-)
Driving with no tax or M.O.T - storme
now that they are both due on the same date....next yr should be easier :)
--
sometimes a little bit too much opinion....but its only because i care !!!
Driving with no tax or M.O.T - Pugugly {P}
That funny little blue sticker they stuck on my Landie and SWMBO's windscreen will give you the Heads Up !
Driving with no tax or M.O.T - Robin Reliant
mk,

Your post says you need the car to get to work but you won't be taxing it till Saturday.

We'll keep our fingers crossed for you.
--
Driving with no tax or M.O.T - Dalglish
A diary's good ;-)

as is google's free calendar, or outlook's calendar, or many such other free software on the net.
and so is the alarm/date-reminder function on your mobile-phone.

Driving with no tax or M.O.T - cottontop
Or you could write a letter and get a solicitor to hold it in storage for you (like the end of Back to the Future 2) and get them to hand deliver it when its next due. Know any solicitors ???
Driving with no tax or M.O.T - Galaxy
I really wouldn't worry about it.

There are plenty of people driving around with no tax and no MOT and with no intention of obtaining either.

Driving with no tax or M.O.T - Armitage Shanks {p}
If what are laughingly called "The Powers That Be" got their act together and crushed every untaxed, uninsured, MOT failed and illegally run foreign registered car in UK we'd get about 2 million cars off the road and reduce emissions and congestion at a stroke. If these computer systems are so marvellous (NOT!) that we have vast numbers of untaxed and uinsured cars on the road what confidence can we have that a system, also based on computers, will be able to hande road and/or congestion charging, or whatever it is called this week?
Driving with no tax or M.O.T - Falkirk Bairn
If these computer systems are so marvellous (NOT!) that
we have vast numbers of untaxed and uninsured cars on the
road what confidence can we have that a system, also based
on computers, will be able to handle road and/or congestion charging,
or whatever it is called this week?

The facts are that the computer systems only know about cars that are registered. The GATSOs, Congestion Charging, Threats of coming to get you over SORN/Road Tax only applies to those who care to register their cars.

If you are the soret that does not have a licence, insurance MoT or whatever you are not going to register the car are you? What arethe cahnces of being stopped for any of the above? Very little.
Driving with no tax or M.O.T - daveyjp
"What arethe cahnces of being stopped for any of the above? Very little."

It depends where you live. If I had an untaxed, uninsured vehicle I would definately have been pulled by now. There is barely a week goes by when I don't see the unmarked police car doing ANPR checks, but I live in a large urban conurbation.
Driving with no tax or M.O.T - Falkirk Bairn
Last week I spent £200 on a service / MoT, £190 on Road Tax and £200 on 1 yrs Comp Insurance.

This morning I walked the dog at 6:30am - a stream of K,L,M reg cars came out of a local estate - presumably people on their way to work -

Lights not 100%, exhausts emitting noxious and visible trails from the exhaust...................

What are the chances that they have been serviced, MoTd, taxed and insured? - £500 car and it would cost more than that to stay legal for 12 mths........... I am not saying all the cars but I am sure a fair proportion will be illegal in some way.
Driving with no tax or M.O.T - martint123
There are more and more static ANPR cameras going up to automate fines.
Latest request I heard for one was on the Humber Bridge - a nice bottleneck for maximising captures.
Driving with no tax or M.O.T - Micky
But if the car is not registered to the correct "owner" or address then ANPR without plod-on-a-bike to do the chasing bit is useless. Although it will catch the OP if he travels to Hull.

From my recollection of Hull, there is no reason to visit.