Which will last longer? - cattleman6
With all the nonsense written in magazines about new cars ( I think often there is a strong bias). Not because it's his website, I genuinely think " Honest John UK" does decent thorough tests.
I am planning to go a bit upmarket when I buy a new car next time. I know Mercedes Benz have gone through a terrible patch, but I do think the New C Class is going to be a very good car. In South Africa they have closed the mercedes assembly for four months to prepare for the assembly of many right hand drive C Classes ( I read that in a South African motoring website). Worldwide Mercedes are kicking butt and are determined. I am seriously interested in going for a test drive here in Dublin or up in the North ( cheaper).I would like the 220 D. Also I like the Audi A4 2.0 diesel. I know the popular 140 bhp has a narrow power band and the gearing is not all that high ( it needs all it's gears) I have read. The 2.0 diesel 170bhp is supposed to be smoother ( but higher insurance etc). I sat in a Lexus IS 220D sport. It is superbly made and extremely comfortable.I have read that the ride is harsh.I think the rear space is a bit tight. The Audi A4 is nearing the end of it's life span before they do a change ( I love the looks). The BMW 3 series is a superb car; but I fancy the new Merc. I see the Audi A4 is much cheaper to service though.
Please I would be very interested if people let me know what they think? I genuinely have a broad mind>Magazines never tell you which car will probably last longest.
Which will last longer? - Gromit {P}
Which one will last longest only matters if you intend to buy new and run it to the scrapyard. In the Irish market, the MB will sell on for more than the others at 4 years old, but also remember that as a 10-year old car the MB will retain more value than the others.

In as far as you can trust reputation, I would buy based on what has happened each marque over the past 5-10 years, not what they say will happen. MB have promised that each successive model released since 2000 will be the one to put an end to their build quality woes (shades of "no, really, this Alfa won't break like the other ones") but the current C and E classes still have problems and the M class 4x4s have been criticised for their fit and finish.

The preceived quality of Audi is probably the best of any maker. ADAC/TUV reliability surveys (discussed on several occasions here) seem to be the most trustworthy because they measure actual breakdowns using a statistically sound methodology - these suggest that BMW, Toyota and Ford are the most reliable cars. But also bearing in mind the poor quality of many Irish roads (how much driving outside Dublin and the main arterial routes will you do?) my choice would be between Audi and Lexus.

Mind you, if I was spending my own money, I'd take a long hard look at a well-specified Skoda Superb before I'd spend the extra on an A6. The Superb rides very nicely on badly surfaced roads and you have the choice of the 2.0 140bhp for shove-in-the-back acceleration or theh 1.9 115bhp for more linear power delivery.

The other left-of-field option is a Subaru Legacy, but as all the cars you describe are diesel I presume the fact that the legacy is petrol only rules it out for you.

One last thought: check the VRT regulations before you buy in Northern Ireland. The cost in VRT or customs duties of importing a car (new or used) into Ireland can be the same as buying locally at the end of the day.
Which will last longer? - Mad Maxy
I agree with Gromit. I think that of BMW, Audi, Lexus and Merc, MB has the biggest question mark over 'quality'. Having said that, I wouldn't be anti having a C or E class. I've run a 2003 A4 for the last three years (anyone want to buy it?)and have just bought a new 320d. The Audi had a new aircon management unit under warranty but otherwise hasn't missed a beat. I went BMW because I like the looks, didn't want another Audi (fancied a change), the Merc is to be replaced, and there's no Lexus IS estate - but the saloon looks lovely.

In terms of longevity, given good maintennce and sympathetic treatment they should all do the distance. The MB will as likely hold its value better. In terms of value for money, buy a cheaper car, eg Ford, Vauxhall/Opel, Skoda, Toyota, Mazda.
Which will last longer? - stunorthants26
>>Which will last longer?<<

Given how indestructible a Lexus is if serviced, id say the Lexus hands down. Even early 90's cars make a sound buy with FSH as they dont seem to have any faults other than old age, but with the correct servicing, seem to carry on regardless even when 17 years old.