2004 Scenic 1.6 petrol - exhaust rattle - jlo
Hi,

Just noticed a load rattle when the wifes car is started from cold. The sound is comming from inside the silencer box (Sounds like the baffles have rattled loose)

Car is still under 3 year warantee. Do you think that is wear and tear or warantee claim. Car done 20K

WIll get it booked in anyway to see if they accept the claim. (Wife said there was a big pot hole she hit and after that the noice started occuring)

Cheers

Jlo
Renault Scenic 04 plate 1.6 petrol - jlo
Whoops I meant to put in exhaust rattle in the subject box but forgot. Can't see away of edditing it either.

Sorry

Jlo

{I've done it for you. DD}
Renault Scenic 04 plate 1.6 petrol - Screwloose
Jlo

Which silencer box?
Its the one if you look under the drivers door. It looks like a fairly big box.

When the engine has been running for a few minutes the rattling disapears but when the the engine is cold or you pull off and the engine revs drop you can here it rattle.

Cheers

Jlo
Jlo

I've a nasty feeling that could be the catalytic converter; [colloquially known as the cat.] The ceramic "brick" inside can be vulnerable to impact and shock.

IF it is; you may get an engine management [anti-pollution] warning of some type coming on soon.
Hmm,

Thanks for the advice.

Funny enough had the pollution waring light on a few weeks ago but that was due to the number one coil failing. Nice man from AA came and replaced that.

Anyway will get it booked in to Renault asap to see if it can be done FOC as car will be three years old in september.

If for some reason they do not accept the claim should I just pay to have the dealer fix/replace it or should I try independent garage?

Cheers

Jlo
Renault Scenic 04 plate 1.6 petrol - rustbucket
jlo, are you sure its from within the box.I had a similare rattle on my 04 1.6 Scenic it was the heat deflector between the box and underbody that had fallen from its clips onto the exhaust box.A five minute job on ramps,Quick fit did it for free.This happened after I went over a rough piece of road.

--
rustbucket (the original)
Thanks.

I hope your suggestion is correct. Once booked in will let you know the result.

Thanks

Jlo
Jlo

We seem to be missing a post here. I posted an answer just after midnight that seems to have gone missing.

Briefly; it was. That coil failure could be a godsend if - and it's still IF - that rattly box is the cat.

Cat failure shortly after coil failure is very common. The unburned fuel reaches the cat, overheats the ceramic "brick" and it shatters.

Approach your dealer and inform them of the coil failure and try to press them into giving you a free set. You are past the 330-3 coil build date that gets you a new set; but as one has gone already, they may well agree.

Once they've admitted liability for dodgy coils by giving you a free set - casually mention that new rattle....

Stick to genuine parts: cheap "pattern" cats are the bane of my life.
Brilliant advice.

I would like to get the cat checked anyway because when the coil failed it stunk of fuel (Which I guess it would) and wondered if this would have damaged it.

We still have the job sheet of the AA guy who fitted the new coil and was ticked 'under warantee' so hooefully if the Cat is knackered this will strenthen the case to get it changed FOC?

Thanks again for all you advice.

Jlo
Just a quick update.

Car booked in to be looked at this Friday at the Renault garage.

Will report back their findings.

KR

Jlo
Hi there,

Well after a trip to the dealer it was found that the heat sheid was bent and tapping against the exhaust! £17 quid lighter saw a replacment shield and 10 mins to fit it.

Thanks for all the help and advice though.

Cheers

Jlo
Renault Scenic 04 plate 1.6 petrol - rustbucket
>>Well after a trip to the dealer it was found that the heat sheid was bent and tapping against the exhaust! £17 quid lighter saw a replacment shield and 10 mins >>to fit it.

Pleased it was not as bad as you thought. But why bent? and why fit a new shield? could they not just clip the un-bent one back in place? Mine was refitted by Quick fit for free in five minutes.
--
rustbucket (the original)