cylinder 1? - keybored
Can one of you knowledgeable people please settle an argument?! I've always believed that cylinder 1 on a transverse engine is the one next to the timing belt, but a friend disagrees and says it's 1 to 4 from left to right where the timing belt is on the right hand side, so who is correct?
cylinder 1? - LeePower
Nearly all engines cylinder 1 is next to the timing gear, but there is an odd few designs of lumps out there where they are numbered by the manufacturer the other way round so in theory your both correct.
cylinder 1? - Number_Cruncher
There aren't any rules. It depends upon the engine manufacturer.

Most inline engines have number 1 at the free end of the crank.

I've heard that some weird French inline engines are the exact opposite. ;-)

Vee engines can also be fun.

In general, it's best just to check in the manual before starting any serious work.

Number_Cruncher
cylinder 1? - jc2
Some Peugeot engines of the 60/70's had #1 at the flywheel end.
cylinder 1? - keybored
Thanks guys; looks like a helping of humble pie for me then :)
cylinder 1? - mfarrow
Thanks guys; looks like a helping of humble pie for me

... and your friend!

--------------
Mike Farrow
cylinder 1? - jc2
Most "V" engines are right bank,front to back-then left bank, front to back;but I am sure there are others.
cylinder 1? - Cliff Pope
And of course you need to take care with terms like "front" and "back".
cylinder 1? - Roly93
Some Peugeot engines of the 60/70's had #1 at the flywheel
end.

A good example of French contrary logic !
cylinder 1? - mrmender
With most of my working life spent working on engines, I can say there are no general rules, older British engines tended to number from free end whilst others vice versa.
I work with one very old British built engine that is numbered from the free end, 50 Yards away is a moderen engine from the same manufacturer which is numbered from the Fly wheel!
Don't start me going on V's! some label A & B banks 1 to whatever others 1 to whatever but where No 1 is right or left I always have a look in the book first!