suspect clutch - ford mondeo 2.0 (1999) - first strike
Hi folks, can anybody throw some light onto a problem with our ford mondeo 2.0 petrol 1999. Had a new clutch fitted at a cost of £500
the car is now very difficult to get into gearfrom stationary, when trying to engage a gear if you try to put the car into first gear the car will move slightly forward same applies to reverse but obviously car moves backward. I have taken the car back to the ford dealer he says that there must be a problem with gearbox probably synchromesh! The car never had this problem before clutch was renewed. The car has covered 135000 miles any comments suggestions would be really welcome in trying to sort this.

{Car details added to subject header to make less vague - DD}
suspect clutch - Galaxy
It sounds to me that the clutch isn't completely disengaging if the gears are very difficult to engage and the car moves forward when putting it into first gear.

It might be some air has got into the clutch hydraulic pipe and needs to be bled out, it might be something more serious which will mean the clutch coming out once again.

Did they also replace the clutch slave cylinder, as a matter of interest? On this car the recommendation is that it should be replaced at the same time as the clutch.

Can't see it being a problem with the synchromesh if the car drove OK before the clutch was changed, not even after 135000 miles. I think you are being fobbed-off by the Ford Dealer.

Sorry, but I think you are going to have to take it back again and be rather more firm with them this time.

Good Luck!

suspect clutch - first strike
Thank you galaxy, the slave cylinder was replaced as the clutch came as a full ford kit. I was thinking of having a independant engineers report carried out but may go back to ford for last chance before going to this expense.
suspect clutch - Galaxy
first strike,

Did you pay for this job with your credit card?

If so, you could get in touch with the card company and ask if they can very kindly help you get this matter sorted out, as they are also jointly liable for the clutch problem. I know from previous experience that they can bring tremendous pressure to bear on suppliers who don't give satisfactory service.

I might be inclined to have one last try at the Ford Dealer first, though.

suspect clutch - Peter D
Put the problem in writting to the deal in such a fashion they have to reply. The clutch is clealy dragging and so are the heals of the dealer. I suspect you can get first when the engine is off but as you say it tugs when running. This may just wear off as the surface polishes a bit but it could be something as simple as air in the clutch hydraulics, but could be a sticking clutch plate. It is nothing to do with the gearbos synchromesh but everytime you put the car in gear the synchomesh is being abused by the clutch drag. Regards Peter
suspect clutch - first strike
Thank you peter for your advice. see message to galaxy.
suspect clutch - Ford Dagenham
Hello

Are you reffering to the current range of mondeos.

I had a similar problem with mine just after i purchased it.

It turned out the main seal went and leaked oil all over the clutch which in the end burned the clutch up.

I had it changed at a ford main dealer for about £600 and that was a new seal plus fitting, A new clutch kit including release bearing and oil.
--
(iam not a mechanic)
Martin Winters