Car valuation - Richie_green
Hello all,

The recent arrival of a new baby has forced the sale of my car. I have had it in autotrader for a few weeks without any response so listed it on ebay. Anyway, bidding reached £4600 which is well short of my price. I received a call from a trader a few days after whom offered £4750 but refused.
This got me thinking, what is the real valuaion for my car? I have used parkers and what car and both come up with very different prices - can anyone on here offer me advice??
My car is:
Toyota Celica Y-reg 2001, 80000 on clock, premium pack - full leather, climate control etc. The car has 11 months service and MOT remaining and has FSH to date.

Many thanks in advance.
Car valuation - BobbyG
Someone will be along soon to say that the value of your car is what someone else is willing to pay!

However, have you tried looking at enthusiasts websites, members clubs etc to see if similar cars are being advertised there and at what price?

Your ebay listing is professional enough but I would be wary about paying out that money to someone who has a rating of 8 (albeit 100%), and has not actively bought or sold for the best part of a year and a half.

The Glass's guide via Vauxhall website shows prices from £5500 to £4200 but it doesn't show your vvti trim level.

Very nice looking car though!
Car valuation - Richie_green
Good point - hadn't thought of it that way. My number was on the advert to try and encourage calls due to my low feedback - not too of an active ebayer as you can see!!

Thanks for your reply
Car valuation - neil
Mmm... that would be about £4750 then!

;-)
Car valuation - car junky
I find the best way of finding out how much your car is worth is by looking at Autotrader and find similar cars for a private sale. Generally traders will retail at £1k over private and main dealers about £1k-£2k. There are also regional variations. You can find exceptional bargains on E-bay but that is if the sellers are willing to release at much reduced price. I think you should be retailing around £6000.

tinyurl.com/26s6p5 {link to autotrader shortened, as was screwing up the page width - DD}

Car valuation - adverse camber
Interesting about the idea that private sales are cheaper.

When I trawl autotrader I often see private cars at higher prices than dealers. I think many people have an inflated idea of what their car is worth (I know I do)

I suspect that some of the price guides are very optimistic.

Also I get the feeling that the derpreciation curve is steeper these days. Brokers mean that new cars can be had for significant discounts.
The fact that so many people buy on credit means that they want dealers, and anything over 5 years old is getting to the point of being worthless.
Car valuation - NARU
And of course there are a lot of overpriced cars on autotrader - I've just watched one come down from £6k to £4k over the last couple of months. Went to look at it at the weekend - turned out to be a dog - some bad rust beneath the pretty exterior, a leaking wheel cylinder, barely legal tyres, worn ball joints, average interior. Not even good enough to make it worth making an offer - I'd have valued it at 2-3k max.
Car valuation - ForumNeedsModerating
>>The Glass's guide via Vauxhall website shows prices from £5500 to £4200 but it doesn't show your vvti trim level.

Hi BobyG - I had this link, but lost it now - could you kindly post it here? (Is that's allowed, not sure?)

On the valuation front, just from what's been written here: it looks like the dealer offer was fair - don't forget the dealer is buying unseen - he/she
may well offer more if the car looks good & clean on viewing - also less hassle/ imponderables if he/she buys re scams etc.

cheers
woodbines
Car valuation - BobbyG
Go to vauxhall website, then under "owners" the option of "value your car"