New car: 2nd registered owner - mport
Been offered a very good price on a new Volvo from an online supplier but they say:

The discounts we are able to offer you are achieved through volume sales. We achieve these discounts by first registering the car into the name of our suppliers who hold discount terms with the manufacturer. This means that you will receive a brand new car on the latest registration and with the full 3 year warranty but you will be the 2nd registered keeper.

Has anyone encountered this before? Are there problems with it?
New car: 2nd registered owner - Armitage Shanks {p}
Well yes! Some people have posted here to say that a further condition of sale is that they will hold the V5 for several months. This is apparently to stop you selling ithe car on and making a profit. Might not be a problem but you can't legally take a car abroad without carrying the original v5 with you. It is a balance of whether the discoult is worth the hassle, to you.
New car: 2nd registered owner - Aprilia
Yes, its quite common. No problems other then you won't be able to say 'one owner' when you come to sell it.
The only other problem is on some 'parallel imports' from the EU where the manufacturer may not honour a warranty.
New car: 2nd registered owner - PW
Just wondering AS- could they be holding onto the V5 for legal reasons. Didn't think dealers were allowed to sell preregistered cars within 6 months of initial registration.

This happened to an ex girlfriend. Bought the car- but dealer held onto V5 for first 6 months to get round the rules.
New car: 2nd registered owner - Armitage Shanks {p}
I am on thin ice here! I know it happens but I don't know if it is legal! I think it is spelled out as a condition of sale and if you don't like it you don't buy the car! ie you are accepting the condition re the V5 as part of the sale so it is binding on you, legal or not.
New car: 2nd registered owner - xzibit
And make sure that the car is exactly the same as the UK spec from the dealers.

Some don't come with the exact same spec. I know some Clio Sports from Motorpoint were missing an alarm, locking wheel nuts and glass etching. Other cars may be similar.
New car: 2nd registered owner - Big Bad Dave
I've done this. Bought a pre-registered car (registered in Dec, bought in Feb). Drove a 24k car away for 13k and got my V5 as normal a few days later. It had 19 miles on it. Who cares if I wasn't the first owner. Didn't make any difference when I sold it 3 years later.