On-line Road Tax Renewal - Free! - Falkirk Bairn
I renewed the RFL on-line last Thursday £190 for 12 months ending Feb 2008.

The following day the Bank Acct showed £190 reserved for the payment.

By Monday of this week the £190 reserved had been made available again and I thought that there was an error in the transaction.

Monday Lunchtime the new RFL duly arrives in the post (only 3 working days - excellent service)

A week after renewing the RFL

I have the disc and the money has not been taken.

Will this have gone through or will I get a letter fining me for not Road tax or SORNING the car?
On-line Road Tax Renewal - Free! - horatio
If it was me, I'd keep quiet and keep the account topped up with at least £200 in there all the time. It will probably go one day. And not your fault if it doesn't.
On-line Road Tax Renewal - Free! - L'escargot
I would imagine that sooner or later, when the DVLA spots the error, the £190 will be taken from your bank account. To be certain, why not ring them up (or email them) and inform them about the irregularity?
--
L\'escargot.
On-line Road Tax Renewal - Free! - paulb {P}
I second that. I should think that they'd play it the same as if a cheque was bounced, otherwise - the sudden transformation of your tax disc into a worthless piece of paper and your car into ANPR van fodder. I wouldn't risk it.
On-line Road Tax Renewal - Free! - ForumNeedsModerating
Might there also be unforeseen consequences if you had to make a car insurance claim & DVLA hadn't had 'payment' ?
On-line Road Tax Renewal - Free! - Cliff Pope
Mine worked the other way round. They took the money but no disc appeared. After I rang they sent a disc, and then another one came a month later.
On-line Road Tax Renewal - Free! - Collos25
You have a genuine tax disc with bar code keep the money till they ask for it.
I should think that they'd play it the same as if a cheque was bounced, otherwise - the
sudden transformation of your tax disc into a worthless piece of paper and your car into ANPR van fodder. I wouldn't risk it.

If I pay by cheque and the payee fails to bank it - it is not my fault - and after 6 mths the cheque is worthless.

Likewise I authorised them to take £190 in exchange for a RFL - the fact that they did not take the money is not my fault. There was sufficient in the account to pay the £190 - the fact that they did not take it was not of my making - should I care?

The system was up and down last Thursday morning / afternoon and I finally logged on last Thursday around teatime - if ~100,000 RFL are renewed each day (~30m /year) - will they spot the error in mine?
On-line Road Tax Renewal - Free! - paulb {P}
...should I care?

Only because it's an agency of HM Gov't and it is therefore inadvisable to give them so much as an inch. Their failure to do their job properly and take your payment will automatically be regarded as your fault for not querying it with them. The fact that it isn't actually your fault won't even enter into it.

I realise that this is an appallingly jaded point of view but I have spent too long in my life trying to get various bits of HM Revenue & Customs to do what is required of them to look at it any other way.
You can always check the DVLA website to see if your cars tax status, (it does take a while to be updated so check it again after a week if it shows not taxed.)

www.vehiclelicence.gov.uk/EvlPortalApp/

Click on vehicle enquiry
You can always check the DVLA website to see if your
cars tax status, (it does take a while to be updated
so check it again after a week if it shows not
taxed.)

Still showing RFL up at the end of ths month! -

That is 1 week excatly and I thought the banks were bad taking 3/4 days to process a cheque.
On-line Road Tax Renewal - Free! - madf
"That is 1 week excatly and I thought the banks were bad taking 3/4 days to process a cheque"

I am sure you are not that naive:-))

I work on the basis that Governments say one thing .. and do another
make promises they do not keep
Bully or target companies to do things and then do not hold themselves to account.

Recent events prove this attitude is sadly 100% justified.. I will not bore you with case histories but pensions and congestion tax plus WMD spring to mind.

Personally I would email and write to the AGency informing them they have not deducted cash from your account and complain. Then when you are persecuted for being taxless you have written proof of your trying to mitigate the Gov't's loss.

madf
Don't worry about it not showing, They only process the figures at the end of each month (this from the horses mouth) and then they issue fines to those who are not taxed. IMO you are taxed, you have a disc, you are not responsible to chase them up on their errors, you have provided them with a means of payment they have issued you the goods but not taken payment (yet).

What I meant was to check the site regularly that means check it in March, I bet in March it will show you as being taxed. IANAL (obviously) but they cannot fine you for this.
On-line Road Tax Renewal - Free! - Robin Reliant
If they have made an error and not taken it there is next to no chance they will come back on you. Their records will show you as taxed and paid up and it is highly unlikely that they trawl through millions of records every month checking for possible errors.

--
On-line Road Tax Renewal - Free! - Bromptonaut
If they have made an error and not taken it there
is next to no chance they will come back on you.
Their records will show you as taxed and paid up and
it is highly unlikely that they trawl through millions of records
every month checking for possible errors.

Unless Government Accounting has changed radically someone will be charged with reconciling discs issued with cash received on a daily, if not twice daily, basis. If it's DVLA's problem they will sort it eventually and as somebody else implied the best outcome for the OP is to earmark the cash himself and collect whatever penurious rate of interest his bank pays. I've had this sort of delay occasionally with commercial outfits, memorably a branch of Sainsbury's who took six weeks to process a debit card transaction, it's usually down to a glitch in their systems.

On the other hand it could be a problem in the OP's own bank or the clearing system.
On-line Road Tax Renewal - Free! - Stuartli
Occasionally Switch/Delta type payments are not cashed in - one of my offspring can testify to the fact as he keeps meticulous spending records.

However, it's best to wait until the six months' period during which such payments can be collected is up before deciding that the DVLA has not/will not collect the sum involved.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
On-line Road Tax Renewal - Free! - Aprilia
I once stayed at a very nice hotel in central Toronto, Canada. Paid for everything on Mastercard and it never came through. That was a few years back, so I guess I'm safe.
I also once bought £250-worth of clothes from a big store and paid by card. It never appeared on the bill, but strangely I kept receiving junk mail about their own Store Card!
On the other hand both my wife and myself once accidently paid the annual water bill twice (i.e. we got a bill and we both paid it independently without realising). It took about six months of arguing to get the overpayment back - they wanted to hang on to it!!
On-line Road Tax Renewal - Free! - Pugugly {P}
Pay it. Morally and ethically correct. Worse than that they may realise and void your tax at a very awkward moment such as holiday.
Morally and ethically correct. >>

Morals and ethics?

You want to ditch them PU, they don't half get in the way.
--
On-line Road Tax Renewal - Free! - Aprilia
Pay it. Morally and ethically correct.

Hang on, I thought you were in the legal profession??
On-line Road Tax Renewal - Free! - DavidHM
Yes, but Falkirk isn't his client.
On-line Road Tax Renewal - Free! - Avant
Surely by sending you the disc they have accepted your payment. It's up to them when they take it from your account: I imagine there's a backlog as lots of new cars are sold in March and there will be a great many renewals.

Didn't they acknowledge your renewal online at the time? Keep that saved on your computer and print off a copy - then you have evidence if they do come back to you.
What you do will be dictated by your moral standards.

Do you want to be straightforward and positively make sure the DVLA get payment for the RFL you have received or do you want to be shifty and just hope you can get away with them not getting payment?
--
L\'escargot.
On-line Road Tax Renewal - Free! - Armitage Shanks {p}
I think that the way forward lies somewhere in the middle of what many postrs have suggested. All this started only 8 days ago. It can take a bank that long to clear a cheque and give you access to funds you have paid in. DVLA have been offered the means to to collect the funds and haven't done so, yet. The disc is legal and cannot, by remote control , be made illegal. I'd keep any on line receipt for the transacation safe at home, carry a copy in the car for the benefit of plod u like or parking revenue protection officer and wait about a month before chasing it. After all, as at the moment DVLA are in the wrong and you are not. Hopefully they are too busy tracking and dealing with the alleged 2 million real tax dodgers!
On-line Road Tax Renewal - Free! - Cliff Pope
I think Paulb is right. This is a government department, so by definition they are always in the right. If they choose to, they can regard it exactly like a bounced cheque, and the disc will be invalid.

Last year we sent in our end of year P35 and P14s online to the Revenue. Their computer locked up so it missed the deadline, and they didn't fix the fault until October. We received a penalty for late submission. I argued for ages that it was their fault, and even received apologies, and our £250 bonus for filing on line. But it still had to go to appeal, which we eventually won, months later.

You can't trust any government department an inch, and anything they pretend to say even in writing is worthless.
It was nice while it lasted ..............

£190 came out today -

8 days after the transaction but it looks like "manual transaction" as the line on my bank a/c does not look like "the normal"
Ok , own up.

Which backroomer works for the Inland Revenue?
--
On-line Road Tax Renewal - Free! - Armitage Shanks {p}
Anybody who pays tax "Works for them"! LOL
On-line Road Tax Renewal - Free! - mjm
I seem to pay most of their salaries out of mine!
I meant to put DVLA, of course.

Edit button please.
--
.......... the Inland Revenue?

For what it's worth they're now called HM Revenue & Customs.
--
L\'escargot.
On-line Road Tax Renewal - Free! - ffidrac {P}
You're lucky!

I am not allowed to renew my tax disc on-line BECAUSE it's free!