Dartford Toll Continuance - Brian
I have received the DTLR Highways Agency response to the consutlation process on continuing the tolls after the legal remit had expired.
It runs to six pages so I can't copy it all here, but will e-mail it to anyone who is interested.
Surprise, surprise, the scheme will go ahead almost unchanged despite a two to one majority of the comments being againt retaining the tolls. The only changes are to exempt buses, military vehicles and un-marked police cars.

The main ground they give for retention is still to form an impediment on the M25 to discourage traffic. As was pointed out, this could be achieved with less effort by a line of cones to reduce it to two lanes or a single lane without collecting tolls.

Apparently the scheme will be reviewed when the ORBIT study is completed, which looks like recommending much more extensive tolls or road-charging, therefore the Crossing would simply attract a higher levy and the booths could be removed.

The whole thing still stinks!
Re: Dartford Toll Continuance - John Davis
During the late sixties, my regular journey from Kent to Essex and back to Kent at night, cost me a whacking half a crown ( 12.5 pence) each time I used the tunnel. At the time, there was much discussion in the local press about the tolls being ended within ten years because, by then, everything would have been paid for ! ! !
Re: Dartford Toll Continuance - CM
I like their thinking - form an impediment on the M25!! i thought the whole point of the M25 was that it flowed freely and took traffic away from Greater London, or am I just being naive?
Re: Dartford Toll Continuance - Brian
CM
The new logic is that if the motorway is congested people will either not travel at all; change their travelling times to visit their friends between 10pm and 6am; or else pile onto the train/bus.
Before they shut the lunatic asylums people who thought like that were safely locked up.
Re: Dartford Toll Continuance - Tony
Also received the HA document.
The crossing is an absolute goldmine & as one driver interviewed for the telly said "she thought it was cheap to use", well what chance is there to get the tolls off.
The place also keeps 200+ people gainfully employed, plus the contractors! I could go on & tell you about all the company cars the managers have but it still winds me up.