1.5 CRDi Fuel consumption - sgarre13
Hi all, new to the Back Room.

I know this subject has been going on for a bit, but I would like to know what fuel economy you are getting if you own a Kia Rio 1.5 CRDI or Hyundai Getz 1.5CRTD (16v 4 cylinder Hyundai engine not the 12v 3 cylinder VM Motori unit).

Not only that but if you could tell me how many miles you've had it for so we can get an idea of how bedded in your car is.

The reason for the request is that I have just acquired one of these as a driving school car and I have been getting 40-45MPG in the 3500 miles since it was made. Now I would expect to get 10% above the 'combined' figure for my own driving and around 10-15% less than the 'combined' for teaching (I had a 1.6 Petrol Citroen C2 as my last teaching car and was getting 38MPG during tuition). This is based on the last 5 or 6 cars I have owned.

So by rights I should be getting 55ish MPG from the Kia as are some of my kin in their Kia's, Clio's etc.

Any thoughts. Can the fuel economy be reduced by 25% just because it isn't bedded in? How long has your Kia taken to "bed in".

Anyone actually gone back to a Kia dealer and they found a problem with the fuel system or ECU or sensors etc.

Cheers

Stevie G

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 01/07/2009 at 13:48

Kia Rio CRDI Fuel consumption - Collos25
Why should you be getting 55mpg if you are getting an overall consumption of 40mpg in one of these I would think myself lucky.
Kia Rio CRDI Fuel consumption - sgarre13
So a 1.5 diesel giving me 2-4mpg better than a 1.6 petrol is OK with the same routes? If I had the 1.4 petrol Rio I'd be over the moon with 40MPG, but I don't.

I know you can't always achieve the government figures, but you should be able to use them as a comparator, the 1.6 petrol combined figure is 44.1MPG and the 1.5 diesel is 60.1MPG, which is a 35% improvement. So if I get 38MPG out of this 1.6 petrol, shouldn't I get somewhere around a 35% improvement switching to the 1.5 diesel, which would be 51MPG or even maybe better. Just think about the combustion physics for a while and the fact I have had 40MPG out of a 1.8 Petrol Focus estate, am I heavy footed based on that?

Otherwise what would be the point of a Diesel compared with a Petrol.

You wouldn't market it that way would you: Same price for a Diesel as for the Petrol, but get this the same fuel consumption as well. Thinking person's small car or mug's small car?
Kia Rio CRDI Fuel consumption - Roly93
I think around 30% better consumption that the roughly equivalent petrol engined car is definately a fair assumtion.

However diesels can take forever to 'bed-in'. My A4 diesel took over 20K miles to reach a reasonable level of economy and still improved from 20-30K.
Kia Rio CRDI Fuel consumption - JonL
Hi Steve

My wifes runs a Kia Rio 1.5 CRDI. At the last measure (November) we were getting 49 mpg (measured accurately using the fill to the brim method) with around 12k miles on the clock compared to 43mpg from new. I think it does take a while for these engines to bed in. I remember reading a figure of 20k in another posting. I think this is pretty good: especially when you compare the performance of the 1.4 petrol - the diesel is a much better drive

Hope that helps

Jon
Kia Rio CRDI Fuel consumption - jc2
If I was only buying fuel in the UK,I would not buy a diesel,but diesel in Eire and in other parts of the EU is much cheaper than gasoline.
Kia Rio CRDI Fuel consumption - sgarre13
Cheers JonL, that's reassuring and very good info.

I was speaking with another guy today who has an '04 Rover 75 2.0d (BMW engine) and he got 33MPG new and is getting 39MPG now, mostly town driving, but with that you see a 20% improvement with bedding in which again is reassuring.

Might take it to the dealer anyway just for them to check it over. Should cost nothing.

Steve
Kia Rio CRDI Fuel consumption - daveyjp
My dads a driving instructor and teaching he gets about 45 mpg from a Fiesta 1.4 TDCi. You will be lucky to get over 50 in stop start motoring.
Kia Rio CRDI Fuel consumption - The Purifier
I believe it's a well known fact that a diesel's fuel economy gets better after the cars been run in
Kia Rio CRDI Fuel consumption - Collos25
If I was only buying fuel in the UK,I would not buy a diesel,but diesel in Eire and in other parts of the EU is much cheaper than gasoline.

But in most other EU states that have cheaper diesel the car tax is proportionately more expensive ,the break point in Germany is around 25K km per year on a 1,9 tdi and 70k on a three year old Nissan patrol.
Kia Rio CRDI Fuel consumption - diddy1234
I got 46mpg on my first tank full for my brand new rio diesel.
So far I am on track to get neary 50mpg for my second tank full (only because the novelty of the turbo is starting to wear off so I am not booting it so much).

I would expect the mpg to improve with mileage but as for 60mpg I am a bit scepticle of this figure
Kia Rio CRDI Fuel consumption - Mikeyk
Hey guys im new here

Came across this thread and bit puzzled to why people arnt doing well with there rio's, iv got a 08 rio sport crdi with 24k on had from new and not had it below 53mpg an that was a rushing about week ;) usually get between 54 and 56 at the min which is way below what i got before it got serviced 1st time round i regulary got 60 but not now, not to bothered tho, need to drive it easier i guess i am only 20!!

These mpg figures are on a 50 miles commute on mixed roads but no motorways or duals, and worked out the proper way calculator and paper.

Did a trip to cardiff a few months ago at a reasonable motorway speed 65 ish and got 70 mpg which is what i expected to be honest.

I had a bad knocking on tick over gave dealer a call and there said there might be a ecu update coming out there is one currently out for the ceed 1.6 diesel but not rio, that was about 6 months ago still no apperance of it yet, an kia dont have anything in the pipeline when i phoned them. I got rid of the problem after a quck trip on the motorway to clean it out :), you have to keep the revs up when changing gear in these things or it just drags itself along on low revs which doesnt help it or the fuel figures, but dont drive silly but reasonable.

Anyone had problems with tracking or balancing??and dont take any notice of the trip computer mines been stuck on 47.3 mpg for last 3 month but iv been getting 54, 55 mpg not worth looking at!! but bare in mind my car hasnt had a easy life at all upto now.

Hope this is of help to any of you.

Mike
Kia Rio CRDI Fuel consumption - rooboy
i have 2008 sport 1.5 crdi done 20k now just had second service fuel only getting 430 for a full tank travelling 60 mile a day . if your getting 60 well done (dont fink my gauge has a six on it hehe) . tracking issue since new had it back to dealer time and time again said nothing wrong even said its a safety feature . had tracking done 3 time s wheels alternated x axles every permutation steering wheel striaghtened cos not level when straight . no joy from dealer or customer services (just referred back to dealer) so gave up .. had two new tyres on front goodyear f1 s seems to stop it alittle ,will got further before camber takes effect wether this helps at all ..
I can fully understand your frustration iv been here time and time again with my car whenever its needed tracking, my dealer ended paying for mine to be taken to a independant tyre centre to be sorted but even those guys struggled with it, keep a close eye on those tyres and as a suggestion swap them front to back after about 7 to 8k iv done that an still got the orginal hancooks front tyres now on back having covered 27k, as for 430 miles from a tank what mpg is that at???i came back from cornwall yesterday sat at 70 hehe nearly all motorway covered 390 mile and used just under half a tank?? but on my normal 50 mile run its slightly risen to 59mpg now and thats not easy driving either, does your trip computer actually work??

Came across this thread and bit puzzled to why people arnt doing well with there
rio's iv got a 08 rio sport crdi with 24k on had from new and
not had it below 53mpg an that was a rushing about week ;) usually get
between 54 and 56 at the min which is way below what i got before
it got serviced 1st time round i regulary got 60

Did a trip to cardiff a few months ago at a reasonable motorway speed 65
ish and got 70 mpg which is what i expected to be honest.

Mikeyk, I suspect that alot of Rio owners don't have the same amount of mileage clocked up like your car has (i.e. more recent purchases),so these figures are not achieved yet.

Wow 70mpg is really good.

I am achieving between 50 - 55mpg now with 9,000 miles on the clock (was 46mpg on the very first tank full).
Whats more the driving style seems to make no difference to the fuel economy at present.
Maybe if I drove over legal limits I would see the opposite.

So the question is, will I get near the official figures by the time my car has clocked up 20k miles ?

Kia Rio CRDI Fuel consumption - Big A
Hi There
Inherited my Rio from the wife.
Always been fastidious on things like mpg.
Average to date is 50.5 (close now to 50.000miles on clock). Best was 61mpg where the wife said she drove like a saint - do we have female saints? and was always late.)
Regret to admit that I always thought the wife had digital control i.e. either foot hard on the brake or foot hard on the accelerator - and was blaming her for the poor! mpg as opposed to the advertised 60.
We have just come back from France where I did all the driving and there were two days of 480 miles each (myself driving - as wife will not and cannot drive on wrong side of the road where it is legal and necessary!) Best I managed was 55mpg.
Early on I complained to dealer and got them to agree to some sort of a decoke/flush through that made no difference.
Overall - I love the acceleration and responsiveness available from this car (apart from having to drive in 4th around town) and don't really mind the mpg achieved - just don't think that 60 is a realistic figure to publish.
Footnote - need to apologise to the wife for blaming her for non-achievement of government stated figures.
Mikeyk I suspect that alot of Rio owners don't have the same amount of mileage
clocked up like your car has (i.e. more recent purchases) so these figures are not
achieved yet.

Megasnipquote!!!!!!

Yeah that is true and to be honest these cars arnt built to have the miles put on them in a such a short space of time i guess, those german tdi's are what you need if you want to pay the price,but i feel these little crdi's are to overlooked :/ yeah i would suggest carrying on as your are if your getting 50 - 55mpg, im getting between 54 an 59mpg now its got warmer and now having 27k on the clock and third service fast approaching after only 16 months, i dont see no reason why your mpg wont go up, i commented on another thread above about tyres and my recent trip i think you may see the same from your Rio in the future.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 12/07/2009 at 03:26

I ragged my Rio over 150 miles and returned 47mpg !

My point was I was trying to find out the worst economy and thats not too bad considering.

First service next week then drive like a saint to see what mpg I can achieve.

Mikeyk, If you can achieve these figures what sort of speed would you be driving at on the motorway to achieve this.

In the past I have driven at 70mph with a very light foot and achieved 51mpg but I do expect this figure to rise a little after the first service.
Diddy 1234

47mpg is good considering you can drive maybe a 1.8 diesel Focus and struggle to get 48 to 50 driving like a saint plus having the same power to hand in the Rio and not much less space (Focus been a previous car).

Well to get 70mpg i was sat at between 55 and 65 staying behind trucks for as long as i could stand but bare in mind that was over 500 ish miles which is quite a distance!! and to get 58mpg its a mix of 60,50 and 30's then 10 mins min sat in morning traffic i feel 58 is acceptable.

Im quite interested if you could get back to me diddy1234 few miles after your first service as mine went bit downhill after first service maybe used cheap oil and crap filter to what it came with out the factory im not sure. Are you going by your onboard computer if you have one??

Mike
Mike, will do.

I will see how the car runs after first service.

I do not have an on board computer (do Rio's have a proper on board computer ?), my Rio has a 'trip computer' and i use that in its most loose form.

I work out the mpg by noting the mileage between refills and litres used to fill up.

As for your economy, thats a really good result however being stuck behind lorry's at 55mph is too boring.
Especially when there is so much fun to be had by a little lead foot and turbo inducing grin :-)

hmmmm yeah and its rubbish, the mpg couldnt be further out.....

Thats the way i keep an eye on the mpg, best way by far, how many miles a year will you be doing?

That was quite a long journey thats for sure, but coming back from cornwall on friday wasnt so bad sat at 70 for 400 miles taking 6hrs30, but not sure of the mpg as not filled up yet but will let ya know later in week.
I suspect 12,000 miles a year easy.

I have had the car since march and clocked up just under10,000 miles !
I deliberately clocked up miles quick to get the car through its first service as soon as possible.

The trip computer in my Rio is the main odometer and two resettable mileage counters (no mpg estimation etc).

An average tank full would last 450 to 460 miles before the fuel light came on.
Even then the car's tank still has 5.5 litres on fuel (I think of four bottles of coke), so there is still a bit of fuel in there.

I know that I can get more out of each tank but I was going to test after the service.

Good luck with your next mpg calculation.
Thats as many miles as me a month!!

Ahhh in my Rio iv got a mpg readout and distance to empty my light comes on when iv got 60 miles left in the tank, sure it says in the handbook somewhere
but when the computer hits 60 miles remaining the light appears, by then iv done around the 510, 520 miles (meaning 570-580 out a tank),
likely the same for yours,

Yeah i would have a steady 600 miles after your service and see what its does hopefully will surprise ya.

Mines started to black smoke alot especially today :/ yeah yeah i know its a diesel but surely it shouldnt shame a old 306 DT with that amount of smoke!!
my old 306 didnt smoke that much even when pushed hmmmm see how it goes tomorrow i guess.
mikey, I wonder if your 306 needs a bit of an 'Italian tune up' to clear things out.

I see plenty of smokey diesels (mostly under heavy acceleration to get on motorways).I am just wondering if some of these diesels do not do enough miles to clear everything out.
diddy1234, i would if i hadn't got rid of it, still good cheap cars well good engines atleast.

Yeah true sat in town traffic then heavy right foot once getting onto motorways, those VW tdi's are very much like that. oh an i averaged 61.3 mpg when i filled up lastnight but iv already done 150 miles since then!!
well the Rio had its first service and as Mikeyk had suspected the economy plummeted after the first service to an average of 43mpg for a tank full.

The fuel economy seems to be climbing back up again (after a couple of tank full's) but its too early to say yet what the mpg figures are.

Just out of interest (since I am still learning how to actually drive a diesel) what is the most economical way to drive it ?

Quick through the gears and heavy-ish foot or gentle and light foot taking forever ?
Kia Rio CRDI Fuel consumption - Model Flyer

My wife runns a 07 Rio CRDI that she has owned from new . One of the main reasons for bying it was that it is supposed to do 60ish mpg .Miles per gallon on the Rio is pretty poor . After 28000 from new it still only returns 47 MPG . Driven like a saint on a run it will only manage 49mpg . Literature Said 60 mpg ,I know we take that witha pinch of salt but I would expect 55mpg. I run a volvo D5 and get 47 mpg , 30mpg towning a caravan . If I nurse the volvo I get about 50 on a run . So what is it about the rio ? dealer said its all in spec and it will get better when its got some miles on it . Suprise suprise its now out of warranty and still not returning the miles . So someone at Kia are telling porkies . I think we may be contacting Kia direct for an answer .