What do the MOT define as rust? - Rattle
There is a bit of surfice rust near a rear suspension mount in the boot of my car, its quite a large area but when I touch it it feels perfectly solid, it looks like something has spilt on it.

I am currently treating it with K-RSUT and a respray but it still looks obvious its been repaired. What will the MOT man make of this?
What do the MOT define as rust? - Another John H
A large hole, if he's feeling vindictive.
What do the MOT define as rust? - Doc
Have a read of the testers manual:

www.motuk.co.uk/manual_610.htm

What do the MOT define as rust? - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
Speaking with my MOT NT's hat on if it is, as you say, a patch of surface rust I would tap the area with the corrosion assessment tool and providing I was sure that the area was not holed or compromised by the degree or depth of the corrosion would issue an advisory accordingly.
Andrew
--
Simplicate and add lightness!!
If turns out to be a problem how difficult would it be to repair? Would this be terminal on my car (a 11 year old fiesta)
What do the MOT define as rust? - spikeyhead {p}
Find a back street mechanic that does welding and it should be less than £50.
--
I read often, only post occasionally
What do the MOT define as rust? - horatio
>I would tap the area with the corrosion assessment tool

That would be a screwdriver right?
What do the MOT define as rust? - LeePower
Unless you have access to the official MOT corrosion assessment tool then yes.
What do the MOT define as rust? - Cliff Pope
Use thicker paint? Repaint a much wider area, and also some other non-contentious areas so as not to draw attention to it. Don't do it just before the MOT - give it time to weather and get covered in dirt.
What do the MOT define as rust? - Chris M
Do any of the posher versions have a carpet over the area? A trip to the breakers could solve.
What do the MOT define as rust? - L'escargot
Have a read of the testers manual:

Thanks Doc. Now we all know what's what when it comes to MOT tests.
--
L\'escargot.
What do the MOT define as rust? - Red Baron
You could always lather the area up with plenty of underbody sealant. This will hide any roughness in the paint due to imperfections in the surface. It also makes inspection difficult.
Are the testers not wise to this? I am tempted just to sell my car 2 months before the MOT for around £250, yes I would have lost £150 on it, but its better than loosing £400 if it fails badly. I have budgeted £200 to get it through the MOT, which is due in 4 months time.
What do the MOT define as rust? - Dynamic Dave
More than one MOT tester has told me the best time to take a car for an MOT is in the rain. If recent welding work and touched up undersealing where appropriate has been carried out underneath it is more often than not concealed due to the wetness turning all the underseal the same colour.
What do the MOT define as rust? - Cliff Pope
There's no harm in highlighting recent welding. It's the bits that haven't been welded that might need a bit of cosmetic dressing.
What do the MOT define as rust? - The Gingerous One
>Use thicker paint? Repaint a much wider area, and also some other non-contentious areas so as not to draw attention >to it. Don't do it just before the MOT - give it time to weather and get covered in dirt.

yes, this is what I've done on several occasions, but also where there have been holes. Just try not to draw attention to it.

leave something else for the tester to find though, I never used to sort out ALL the problems I knew about on an older car before the MoT......