Double Selling - Macca07
I found a part exchange Saab a company was selling on autotrader. i liked it and agreed to pay the window price as it was such a nice car (full leather, cd changer, low mileage, full service history etc). I asked to be checked for hire purchase on which i was approved. i was supposed to collect it this weekend if it was in an excellent condition as i was told by the sales person but I've now had a phone call to say the car has been sold to someone else.

The company isnt local to me so its not like I can go down to see them so is there anything I can do? All I have is a verbal agreement that I'm going to buy the vehicle if its in the condition I was described. i wasnt told i had to pay a deposit to hold it although they did offer to deliver it to me.

What can I do?

Thanks in advance for your help & advice.

Double Selling - colino
This isn't double selling, the cars been sold once to the first person who came up with the cash (or finance)to complete the sale.
In your posting you state that you were "supposed" to collect it "if" it was in described condition. Someone else was serious about the car and beat you to it. Distance "Buyers" are on the 'phone or email (sometimes text) for most decent cars on the forecourt, but the dealers, through good sense and experience, won't hold it if someone else is willing to complete and spend real money on a car.
Double Selling - Cliff Pope
You only have a grievance if you had entered into a valid contract. Clearly you hadn't.

Would you have been equally happy if you had been the one who backed out, and the dealer then enforced the "contract"?

I've been there myself. I once let myself be beaten down to £500 for a vehicle I was selling, and the buyer then went off to raise the money. Meanwhile someone else turned up and offered £750 cash and took the car away on the spot. What would you have done?
Double Selling - rjr
What can I do?

Not much, if anything. As far as I can see there was no contract between you and the garage as no consideration (payment) had been given. Therefore the garage were free to sell it to someone else.
Double Selling - Macca07
but i was a serious buyer, i just couldnt get time off until the weekend. i was told that a deposit wasnt nescesary and i could pick the car up on saturday. is a verbal agreement i was going to buy the car not enough?? I said "i would like to buy the car" the salesman said "great i'll see you at the weekend to collect it, make sure you bring your id for the finance etc". is this not legally binding? what do you think a solicitor would say if I contacted one?
Double Selling - rogue-trooper
prove that you had a verbal contract.....!

Double Selling - Macca07
how can I prove that I had one?
Double Selling - caesar
You can't thats the point.
Forget about it,there's not a lot else you can do.
Double Selling - rogue-trooper
exactly....unless you recorded it you can't and therefore i am not sure you have a leg to stand on if you want to take legal action
Double Selling - sine
but i was a serious buyer, i just couldnt get time off until the weekend.

First come, First served.
The quicker he can shift the car the sooner the space can be filled with another, maximising profit

>>What can I do?
Get over it, move on, learn from it and start looking for another car. What do you want from them? You may be able to get a slight discount if you buy an alternative car from the dealer, thats about it.
Double Selling - jc2
My BiL is a dealer;he gets any number of people who come in,kick tyres, even have a drive and say"I'll be back to-morrow with the money" and are never seen again.He's even had people pay him a deposit and not come back.