Imports - John Hester
Whoops! I made a mistake in my query about imports in my message dated 2nd April. I quoted Onesearch when I should have said that I had received a quote from a firm called www.oneswoop.com

Their spec is exactly the same as a car purchased in this country and I would save obout £2,360. However, they do not take credit cards and payments, both deposit of 15% and final payment, must be by electronic transfer.

Does anyone know oneswoop?

All the advice is to only pay by plastic. I am suspicious of requests for payments by any other methods. Am I correct?

John Hester
Re: Imports - John Hester
I forgot to tick the box for e-mail replies to this address. Consider it ticked please!
Thanks
John Hester
Re: Imports - Honest John
BMW Prices go up as from 1st May.

HJ
Re: Imports - KB
HJ, Further to our exchanges re. imports and that of my Yaris in particular and your warnings re. price rises and currency fluctuations.....("KB: Have you protected yourself against Sterling falling against the Euro, and also against pre-tax prices in Holland rising to a standard pan-European level by September")...........I spoke today to the supplier in the Netherlands (who gets his Toyota's direct from Toyota). He said he was completely unaware of proposed major price rises associated with currency and that they will normally absorb any price rises that do occur after an order is placed and the deposit received. I have offered to pay in full now but he said not to worry - the price to me will not rise now thast the deposit is received and the deal done. Regarding the currency, as I said I can buy it at any time and keep it in an account ready for despatch, thus protecting the rate and will do so soon.

I'm sure you'll be interested to know how this progresses and will keep you informed.

KB.
Re:date for fixed EU pre-tax prices? - jack
Can HJ or anyone else point to a web-site where setails of the new EU directive on pre-tax prices can be found, please?
Re: Imports - KB
John, I have never been able to pay by credit card when buying from Belgian and Dutch dealers. I know everyone says you should - but if they won't accept them then that's up to them. Electronic 'Swift' transfer is safe and quick and costs about £18 - £20 per transaction but, of course, doesn't offer the protection of cards, but if you can't use them, then there is no alternative (except to buy from a UK dealer or use a broker which does take cards). Presumably the cost of the card transaction to the dealer is something to do with their reluctance to accept - certainly though it is not uncommon and in my opinion shouldn't put you off.

KB.
Re: - jack
Go to click here for whois oneswoop
to find out.

(www.oneswoop.com/whois/whois_main.html)
Re:"whois oneswoop" - jack
Oops. Edit the previous missing subject to the heading of this post!
Re: Imports - Keithb
Oneswoop was set up about 2 years ago and is one of the 'all-inclusive' agents i.e. they source the car, register and tax it and deliver it to the UK. You have no contact with the foreign dealer nor do you know who he is. Their web site explains everything, in particular the fact that all money is held by Fortis Bank (a huge Belgian company) until the car is delivered and signed off by the customer. Other similar companies are Virgin and JamJar (owned by Royal Bank of Scotland).

Oneswoop is a reputable company with some high-profile business partners e.g. Marks & Spencer and Fortis. I would have no worries about using them. My brother used them for a Saab and was very happy with the service.

I think the credit card issue is a bit of a red herring. I have never come across an import company which accepts credit cards. If any exist, then they would have to charge about 3% extra to cover the cost. If you're happy with the price/delivery delay and don't want to do any of the work, then any of Oneswoop, Virgin or JamJar will do. Check carefully what's included in the price though.