Peug 306 diesel eng turns wont start - Ahmet
I hope someone can help.

I have a 1998 Peugeot 306 diesel. For the last few months for no reason the to start the car in the mornings it would take 10 minutes, constantly turning over the engine until it eventually started. I have replaced the glo tubes, had it serviced, still no joy. Now the battery has worn down and we have to jump the battery in the mornings. I have taken it to a garage and they haven't found anything, not sure they actually knew where to start looking.

It seems that the diesel is having a problem getting to the carburetor, we are also now having to pump the diesel through the tube.

I am about to purchase a new battery to see if that helps. I have spent a fortune over the last 5 months, more than the car is worth so would like to find out if anyone else had the same problem and if its easy to sort.

Many thanks
Peug 306 diesel eng turns wont start - Armitage Shanks {p}
SFAIK a diesel engine doesn't have a carburettor - it uses an fuel injection system. There is no ignition system to fail so if it turns but doesn't start it isn't getting fuel, basically.
Peug 306 diesel eng turns wont start - Altea Ego
Or the fuel is not being compressed. Get a compression test.

Does it start ok when its hot?
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Peug 306 diesel eng turns wont start - Ahmet
Yep it starts ok within a few hours of being used, over 5 hours or overnight will not start.

There is a black plastic pump that is connected, what does that do?
Peug 306 diesel eng turns wont start - RichardW
"It seems that the diesel is having a problem getting to the carburetor, we are also now having to pump the diesel through the tube."

Bingo! Any competent diesel mechanic will be able to sort this easily. There is an air leak somewhere that is allowing the fuel to drain back to the tank. The black bulb is the fuel primer, so what you are having to do is pump the fuel back up to the injection pump before it will start. Look to see if the fuel leaks out anywhere when the primer is pumped. Get your mech to check the injection leak off pipes. If in doubt replace the primer bulb, they can split and leak, or the internal non return valves can fail. If you can, park the car with the front end down the hill, you may well find it will a) start in the morning, and b) reveal the leak to you! If you have spent £££ trying to sort this, suggest you find another mechanic.....!

--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....