fiesta mk 3 rocker box sludge - milkyjoe
hi, i took the rocker box off the fiesta today to replace the leaky gasket and noticed it was all caked up with thick tarry sludge,should i clean it off with petrol or gunk or summit or leave it as a barrier to noise from the tappets and to reduce the effect of cold air condensation that blights these cars, also can i clear the oil ways to improve oil circulation to the top end and what would be the best way? cheers
fiesta mk 3 rocker box sludge - quizman
If I were you I would clean the rocker box with a cloth, then drive the car for 10 miles to warm up the engine, put in some pre- lube stuff for 10 minutes with the engine idling, let the old oil out and leave it for a few minutes to fully drain. Then put on a new oil filter and fill the sump with good quality 10W/40 oil, I would recommend Castrol Magnatec, but you could also use Shell Helix 10W/40 or similar.

Make sure that the thermostat is working correctly, so that the engine warms up properly in use, also give the car a good run every now and then, this should stop the sludge forming again.
fiesta mk 3 rocker box sludge - mfarrow
Yes, petrol, white spirit or alcohol should shift it. Definately worth it if you're considering using a flushing oil. The black gung probably does help with condensation thing though.

But take it for a good run occasionally and you shouldn't have any problems.

--------------
Mike Farrow
fiesta mk 3 rocker box sludge - jc2
As I have said before ,clean out the whole of the crankcase ventilation system,particularly the the filter and the orifice controlling the air-flow thro' the system;Halfords sell all the parts cheaply if you need to replace any bits.
fiesta mk 3 rocker box sludge - piston power
And while your inside there set those tappets!! regular oil changes and clean breathers will do the trick..