Peugeot 306 1.4 1998 - hestitation - SundayGent
Hi All,
I have a Pug 306 1.4 lx 1998. For over a year now I have been having a problem with random hesitation (loss of power) when under load between minutes 1 and 4 after starting the engine (hot or cold). When I say random it will happen randomly during that time period (1 to 4 minutes after starting) but it will nearly always happen at least once. When this happens ( usually when joining a large roundabout just after leaving work :( ) I either keep the fully accelerator depressed, slow down almost to a halt at which point the power comes back or I depress the clutch (release the load) rev the engine and feather the clutch in and out . I can start the car and leave it to stand and it will idle fine - as soon as I put some load on the engine it hesitates and sometimes dies. Once it has gone through its hesitancy patch all is fine for the rest of the journey until I switch off. Upon restart of the engine (hot or cold (although when the weather is very cold it seems to misbehave less) ) the whole thing happens again. I have had the stepper motor , the Lambda sensor and the MAP sensor all replaced. Upon each replacement things seemed ok for a day or so but then it went back to its old ways ( is this some thing to do with the ecu relearning things?). Anyway I am at my wits end with this problem ( as well as the power steering pump going , the AC compressor clutch and the permanently blinking air bag light despite changing sensors ---- arrrrrrgh) Any helpful advice gratefully received.

Peugeot 306 1.4 1998 - hestitation - Screwloose
SundayGent

For a temp related fault, why didn't they change the coolant temp sensor first?? The coilpacks on these [Sagem - direct fit type?] are very prone to causing odd faults but usually leave false codes; were there any?

Given all you other unsolved problems [what was that airbag code - pretensioners?] maybe the answer is a more clued-up garage?
Hi Screwloose,
The Lambda sensor replacement did fix a big problem with hesitancy that never went away and got worse and worse ( they did the MAP sensor at the same time ). The Stepper replacement was the first proper attempt at solving the hesitancy after start up problem. Why do you think it is a temperature related fault ? - I can literally have the engine hot , switch off and straight back on and the hesitance will occur in a minute or so. I hope it is just a temperature sensor :) It goes in for a service monday I will ask them to look at them. As far as I know there were no odd fault codes. ( the air bag ones were as you say pretensioners - which they replaced to no long term avail). Thanks for your quick reply.

SundayGent

They actually replaced the pretensioners!!! At least half the posters on here would be able to tell you that Peugeots have an amazingly common problem of silicone contamination of the little yellow plugs under the seats. A quick clean [IGN OFF!] and a squirt of WD40 usually works wonders.

The stepper motor merely controls the idle speed; if you have the throttle open and it's misfiring, then it was never going to be that. "Poke and hope" diagnostics at their worst. Have they EVER read the fault-codes, or made any practical use of the ECU's live-data - have they even got a scan tool - or an oscilloscope? If they haven't, how could they even begin to check the sensors' output readings?

If the coilpack's the long, [no HT leads] type and is made by Sagem; then bin it and fit a Bougicord-Electrofil one before[?] it back-spikes the ECU. Use ONLY the genuine Peugeot spark plugs on these. Nothing wrong with other brands; but they don't always suit the TU's unique and deeply weird "phase-detection" system.
Well the car has had its service. It also had the engine temperature sensor changed. Unfortunately the probelm still persists. The Coil Pack is not the Sagem all in one type. Any other clues as to what the problem might be?
SG

Did they have the means to read the fault-codes?
Yes I believe they do have the means to read the codes and that there were none showing :(