Accident M25 J17 06.00, Sat 27-1-07 - pmh
I presume it was the remains of the same incident that I saw at about 7.55. There were 3 or possibly 4 cars scattered over the carriageway only just north of the exit slip. One car ( the most northerly )had hit the central reservation armco . From the position of the most southerly I would hazard a guess (and its only a guess!) that a collision had occured with a car trying to make a late exit, and the subsequent avoiding actions had caused other impacts. At the time I could not understand why the wrecks had not been quickly removed unless a fatality had occurred. Although most vehicle damage looked survivable. Alternatively, how about a heart attack or similar?????

The queue must have been 3-4 miles and stationary towards the M40 junction.
--

pmh (was peter)

Accident M25 J17 06.00, Sat 27-1-07 - Mazda-Man
An episode of The Bill being filmed maybe.............................
Accident M25 J17 06.00, Sat 27-1-07 - Alebear
Forgive my ignorance - but what is a spinner?
Accident M25 J17 06.00, Sat 27-1-07 - local yokel
If there is a fatality during/immediately after an RTA, no matter how caused, then it's a fatal accident site as far as Traffic are concerned. The heart attack is for the post mortem and inquest, not Plod to decide. Plod still has to gather all the evidence to present to a potential inquest.

The cause of death might have been due to the person not wearing a seatbelt, of course, which might have been survivable if strapped in....
Accident M25 J17 06.00, Sat 27-1-07 - boxsterboy
The Police or their imposters, the Highways Agency seem overly keen to close roads at the slightest excuse, regardless of the inconvenience and added polution caused by the jams that follow ...

I think they have lost so much respect recently (speed scameras, etc.) that they do it purely to remind who they consider to be boss.
Accident M25 J17 06.00, Sat 27-1-07 - Leif
The Police or their imposters, the Highways Agency seem overly keen
to close roads at the slightest excuse, regardless of the inconvenience
and added polution caused by the jams that follow ...
I think they have lost so much respect recently (speed scameras,
etc.) that they do it purely to remind who they consider
to be boss.

I very much doubt that. When there is an accident, they have to collect evidence. A few years back I was a witness to a crash (no injuries) and the police photographed the skid marks (on the road ...) to use as evidence for insurance claims and criminal proceedings if any.

Maybe you should blame your fellow drivers. Quite often I find myself in a long traffic jam, only to discover that the accident is on the opposite side of the motorway. So why does my side slow down? The only answer I can think of is rubber necking causing congestion. It only takes a few cars slowing down to create congestion.
Accident M25 J17 06.00, Sat 27-1-07 - Westpig
The Police or their imposters, the Highways Agency seem overly keen
to close roads at the slightest excuse, regardless of the inconvenience
and added polution caused by the jams that follow ...

in the old days road deaths were not treated in a similar fashion to other kinds of unknown death,so one involving a car would be dealt with a lot more quickly than an unexplained death elsewhere

nowadays they are all treated a lot more seriously and more thoroughly investigated

if the crime scene/potential crime scene is in a park, alley way, inside a house etc...........it won't inconvenience that many people

if the crime scene/potential crime scene is the M25 itself, it will inconvenience half the South East.........no easy answers

if it was your loved one you'd want to know the full facts and ensure it was dealt with properly, whereas if it is someone's else's loved one, then no doubt 'brush them up quickly so i can get to work', would be the thought process
Accident M25 J17 06.00, Sat 27-1-07 - aahbarnes
Yeh, HJ - What's a spinner?
Accident M25 J17 06.00, Sat 27-1-07 - pmh
Spinner ...... one who has spun! If you had scene the crime seen you would understand why he said spinner.
--

pmh (was peter)

Accident M25 J17 06.00, Sat 27-1-07 - mss1tw
Spinner ...... one who has spun! If you
had scene the crime seen you would understand why he said
spinner.

Close...

Spinners: www.handango.com/include/pictures/796888/sespcar00...f

;o)
Accident M25 J17 06.00, Sat 27-1-07 - Chicken Vindaloo
Hmmm, nice*..... I wonder if MTC has seen that??

(* that was an ironic "nice")
Accident M25 J17 06.00, Sat 27-1-07 - Altea Ego
Rumour has it MTC is getting an escalade next....those spinners go so well on that.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Accident M25 J17 06.00, Sat 27-1-07 - Hamsafar
When the old lady next door passed away, they didn't evacuate me and seal the area off for hours.
I assume this was because there were no suspicious circumstances.
So why do they go OTT with road accidents, even if not fatal?
They certainly don't if a train runs someone over.
I'm sure we all know the answer, however protracted finding theroot cause may be.
When the old lady next door passed away, they didn't evacuate
me and seal the area off for hours.
I assume this was because there were no suspicious circumstances.
So why do they go OTT with road accidents, even if
not fatal?
They certainly don't if a train runs someone over.
I'm sure we all know the answer, however protracted finding theroot
cause may be.

The old lady............ if she'd been seen by her doctor within the last 2 weeks i.e. he/she knows what the issue is, then the doctor can sign a death certificate, in which case no need for post mortem and as long as there were no suspicious circs, then no investigation needed.......if not seen by her doctor within 2 weeks, then PM needed. Coroner will want some form of investigation, but again if thought to be old age related and no suspicious circs police doctor will say as such.........very limited investigation, if much at all....otherwise you'd get the full monty with the CID.

the train.......... many stations have cctv and other passengers. A fair few people who go under trains, commit suicide......if a number of reliable witnesses or cctv has seen them jump then it's a good indicator of who is responsible isn't it ....likewise if someone fell, then you often have a fair few witnesses

the motorway..... quite few variables really, because things happen so quickly at speed. Unlikely to be extensively covered by cctv, witnesses often only see a small part of the big picture, mechanical items & their potential for failure bunged into the equation means nore of an effort needed to establish what truly happened

even if not fatal........who knows when a seriously injured person is going to die? The paramedics are usually extremely good, but they're not God. Doctors often stop to help and nope they can't guarantee life either, so that means, as a medical layman, you have to use your judgement and if with experience you think death is a possibility, cover all angles.
should have said.......the motorway, quite...a.... few variables, blah, blah, blah
Accident M25 J17 06.00, Sat 27-1-07 - boxsterboy
Obviously serious accidents/deaths etc. need investigation. I'm talking about, for example, complete closure of the M25 over 12 hours after a truck went off down the embankment (happened to me 2 years ago). Cab undamaged, and no other vehicles involved, by all accounts. Driver probably just fell asleep.

In Europe they seem perfectly capable of investigating crashes without the need to shut the road. I blame the dreaded 'ealth n safety.