Lidl Winergy 15W/40 motor oil - Scott H
Hi everyone,

Lidl have this oil in stock again for £6.95 / 5 litres. I'd like your opinions on using it in a K11 Micra.

Firstly, is it semi-synthetic? It's rated as API SJ so presumably suitable for the engine and the handbook says you can use 15W/40 in ambient temps between -20 and +40 deg. C. My concern is that 15W is a bit viscous so maybe not giving the best cold start protection. Nissan's own oil, which I normally use, is rated 10W/30 and last time it cost me £12 for 5 litres. The car's done 78k if that's relevant.

Thanks in advance,

Scott
Lidl Winergy 15W/40 motor oil - yorkiebar
If it was my motor I would prefer the 15/40 to the 10/30. But either meet the spec so dont worry!
Lidl Winergy 15W/40 motor oil - gbc
Hi,
Amazingly enough Lidl oil has the most recent specs both for diesel and gas, for a 15w40 you wont find better specs
Lidl Winergy 15W/40 motor oil - John S
This is actually quite an 'old spec' oil, both interms of viscosity range and service classification. API SJ is now superceded. Lower viscosity SL oils became available about 3 years ago, SM spec is now released, and it appears that Nissan are now using these oils.

JS
Thanks for the replies guys. I might just continue to use Nissan's own oil.
Lidl Winergy 15W/40 motor oil - jase1
I was under the impression that the Micra engines required 10W40 semi-synthetic?

Be a bit careful with this engine as the timing chain is sensitive to oil viscosity.
From the Micra owner's manual it says "For cold and warm areas: 10W/30 is preferable for ambient temperatures above -20 deg C", and as already mentioned that's what Nissan themselves supply and use.

There's also a little chart in the manual showing the oils that are recommended for a given temp range and for -20 to +40 deg. C it lists 10W/30, 10W/40, 10W/50, 15W/40 and 15W/50 as being suitable. Seems a very wide range to me. Didn't expect it to be this confusing!
Lidl Winergy 15W/40 motor oil - jase1
From the Micra owner's manual it says "For cold and warm
areas: 10W/30 is preferable for ambient temperatures above -20 deg C",
and as already mentioned that's what Nissan themselves supply and use.
There's also a little chart in the manual showing the oils
that are recommended for a given temp range and for -20
to +40 deg. C it lists 10W/30, 10W/40, 10W/50, 15W/40 and
15W/50 as being suitable. Seems a very wide range to me.
Didn't expect it to be this confusing!

Yeah both the books for our Sunny (1.6 version of a similar engine to yours) and my Hyundai 1.3 say much the same thing. However both main dealers for Nissan (and Hyundai) and our local mechanic have specced 10W40 semi for these engines. Castrol Magnatec preferred (although really it's just a case of getting the grade right).
That's interesting jase1. There seems to be a divergence of opinion even amongst main dealers because two that I've visited have given me 10W/30. I've been using it for the last 30k miles without any apparent problems (changing every 6k), but who knows whether there might be long-term damage?
Lidl Winergy 15W/40 motor oil - doctorchris
This is the grade of oil specified for the 900cc Fiat Cinquecento. I have used the Lidl oil in one and it seems fine. I dont think it is suitable for a modern OHC or multivalve engine unless it is old and burns a fair amount of oil when it would be a good cheap option to keep it topped up with.
Lidl Winergy 15W/40 motor oil - Waino
If this oil is as good as the Lidl blood pressure monitor I bought before Christmas, it might be OK for lubricating the door hinges ;-(
Lidl Winergy 15W/40 motor oil - martint123
If this oil is as good as the Lidl blood pressure
monitor I bought before Christmas, it might be OK for lubricating
the door hinges ;-(

Calm down dear or you'll go off the end of the scale ;<)
Lidl Winergy 15W/40 motor oil - mss1tw
Calm down dear or you'll go off the end of the
scale ;<)

If he wasn't stressed before, the reference to those ***** adverts should do the trick!