road tax - barney100
I know its an old old chestnut but why don't we scrap all this road tax and pricing and just tax fuel? If you don't drive much then you save, if you have a guzzler you might lose but there would be no tax dodgers and you have some freedom on how much fuel to use.
road tax - freddy1
but we are already taxed on fuel ?
road tax - Doc
One of the benefits of Road Tax is that a VED disc shows that the vehicle has insurance and passed an MoT test.

road tax - freddy1
are you takin the "micky"
, for several yrs now the police have had access to DVLA records , and recently , the insurance doc,s of people , when they pull up behind you , they have alreadt done a check on you ,,the tax, insurance and MOT status , and have your age and colour ,,

common , in my area , (lancs) you are looking at ANPR cameras everyware ,,,you would get about 5 miles before being stopped,

so whwre does the nice little shiny tax disc come into it?
road tax - BazzaBear {P}
Well, whether they checked by looking at the shiny disc, or by putting your reg into their computer, that hardly changes the fact that the existence of road tax allows an easy (theoretical) control over MOT and insurance.
road tax - freddy1
ballony , when checkin a tax disc , for orthentisity ,???? , the computer gives all the info out , !! what checkin has to be done? its your numberplate they want sight of , not your tax disc
road tax - runboy
Call me cynical, but would the government want to scrap VEL and add some more to petrol? With all the talk of congestion charge, get cars off the road and us onto public transport etc there could be less money coming in as less fuel is bought, whereas at least with VEL the goverment has steady money coming in whether you use your car or not.

Does anyone have the figures which show how much money comes in from VEL and how much is then sent back out in the form of road repairs, improvements etc-I have a feeling it is only a small proportion.
road tax - martint123
But how would the traffic wardens and nosey neighbours be bale to report untaxed vehicles.
road tax - freddy1
8< SNIP - {so much easier to delete swearing than edit it out, as per the 'sticky' message regarding swearing at the top of this page. DD}
road tax - BazzaBear {P}
What are you talking about man?

The suggestion was removing road tax altogether and putting all tax on fuel, the second poster replied that, if there's no road tax, then there isn't a way of forcing people to get insurance and MOT (since you can't tax a car without both). What has that got to do with whether the police look at the tax disc of the reg plate?
I think you've completely missed the point.
road tax - Muggy
I read something about this on another forum recently; in that case the idea was that a French style coloured and dated sticker should be displayed to indicated insurance status.

There was also a calculation given that assuming the average driver does 12,000 miles a year at 35mpg overall average and the average road tax would be £180 (!) then to be revenue neutral the abolition of road tax and loading the equivalent money on the fuel tax would add, I think it was, about 9p to 12p on a litre.

Perhaps someone on here could work it out more accurately out of curiosity - it wasn't a motoring forum I saw it on, so I'm guessing the averages quoted aren't 100% right, which would affect the cost per litre result...??
road tax - LeePower
What a brilliant idea, scrap the tax disc, add more tax on to fuel & give those morons another excuse to start blockading petrol refineries again & idiots panic buying petrol.

There's not much wrong with the current road tax system apart from older small engined cars with no cat on still getting lower road tax, that what gets on my nerves, no cat should be no low tax, pay the full whack.
road tax - mk124
Good point Muggy. Why could'nt we just display a disk in our cars to say we have an MOT and insurance. Why does that disk need to be linked to road tax?

-----------------------------------------------

Torque means nothing without RPM
road tax - Doc
Why could'nt we just display a disk in
our cars to say we have an MOT and insurance.

But this would involve an "admin charge" to issue, (which would no doubt increase each year) which would take us back to road tax!

road tax - sierraman
What's 'orthentisity '?Must be an authentic new word.
road tax - sierraman
, for several yrs now the police have had access
to DVLA records , and recently , the insurance doc,s of
people , when they pull up behind you , they have
alreadt done a check on you ,,the tax, insurance and MOT
status , and have your age and colour ,,

And they still get it wrong......loads of people get pulled for no insurance when they have it,then have to prove it to prevent removal of vehicle.
road tax - moonshine

Oh dear - those who say you need a tax disk for enforcing/checking MOT and insurance need to get up to speed.

The solution is simple and effective. Put the tax on fuel, it's completely fair as you pay for what you use. We make a huge saving on the admin costs of collecting the VED. It's easy to enforce with the use of APNR. We could easily introduce a MOT and insurance disk to go in the windscreen.

In summary its a great idea - simple. effective and fair.

BUT - it will never happen - it would loose votes (due to the masses not understanding it ) and no government would have the balls to do it.
road tax - Falkirk Bairn
Why o people avoid paying their RFL - it is up to £220 and the chances of being caught are small - the fines are usually small for not having a RFL.

Solution

Make the RFL - £10.00 only - this will pay for checking RFL & MoT etc - Penalty for not having a RFL £250
Put the RFL charge on the Petrol - BIg milage people would pay more, Thirsty 4x4 would pay more - i.e. Green Credentials - very few people would avoid a £10 charge and risk a £250 fine
road tax - moonshine

The penalties for no RFD are not small. And people do get caught. I know this because I have been taken to court for no RFD. Look at previous posts for the details. I only used the car once with out RFD and got caught, cost me around £400, plus a days work lost.
road tax - Cliff Pope
There's no need for any expensive admin charge in order to display MOT and insurance details. Simply require that insurance certificates have a tear off disc that has to be displayed in the window, and put a visible date on the blue MOT stickers that are already issued by some garages.
road tax - quizman
If all the tax goes on fuel it will be even better for foreign lorries to come over, belly tanks full, and cart goods about much cheaper. Then what will happen to our haulage firms?

Not to mention people being more likely to use red diesel.
road tax - keo-the-dog
The financial penalty (not called a fine) if you should get caught with red diesel in your running tank is quite hefty. Also it is an absolute offence meaning even if you did not know it was in the tank you are guilty of using it if the Customers and excercisers dip your tank and find any trace...Keo