Pug 306 Dipped Lights - HK
Hi

I have a pug 306 P reg and have been having a few issues with the dipped lights. The side lights work ok and the main beam works ok but the dipped beam does not work at all..

It was a bit of a funny issue as it would not work for a few days and then started work. The dipped beams stopped workin recently and they have not started to work so i thought i needed to do something about it.

Went to a local electrial garage and said it would be the resistor situated near the batt. I got a replacement from the Pug garage and fitted it but still got the same problem..

After fiddling with it a little i noticed that if i connected the two brown cables together which would normally go to the resistor the dipped beam would work when i put the side lights on.

Just wandering if there is any danger in doin this?... is there any long term damage it might cause (burn the wiering, fuse etc)?... I am lookin to get rid of the car soon but i needed the lights to work

Just wandering if anyone knows what the issue might be and also if what i have done would cause any long term damage..

Thanks any advice would help
Pug 306 Dipped Lights - scfc_151
Hi HK i had the exact same problem on a 306 it was the dim dip relay in the wing that had burnt out. As this was difficult to get to i found the wire for the dipped lights in the engines fuse box did a continuity test and scotch locked a piece of wire from the live near the box to the drivers headlight and it was perfect.

Never had any problems and did a nice neat job so it sailed the mot

Hope this helps
Hi thanks for the reply..

Im not very technical when it comes to cars and stuff so is what u said the same as what i done?

i rang a few ppl after i done it like garages and stuff and they go that the side light wires are not meant for the dipped beam. and it could melt/blow

which makes sence but i dont know weather they are just sayin it to get me in and take my ££££

anyways its working now but im still a bit anxsious about it..

i might go to scrap yard and get another resistor and just stick it or see if i can find the relay

do u know where the relay is located?

thanks
Pug 306 Dipped Lights - SjB {P}
scotch locked
did a nice neat job

The wiring might have been neat and tidy, but assuming I have understood correctly - blue plastic connectors with a pronged blade that is used to cut through insulation and reach the conductive wires inside - these two statements are an oxymoron in my experience; Scotchlocks are horrible "connectors" that will invariably loosen with time and vibration and no longer have a place in my box of electrical bits.
Just a quick bump to the top and also

that the way i have done it means i dont have side lights its either dipped beam or main beam only

Pug 306 Dipped Lights - Peter D
Crazy, car electrial fire immintent. Regards Peter
really?

so its not a good idea?
Find the real problem and fix it, if pug could have used that wiring and saved the cost of a relay they would have done. You are going to melt something quite soon. Regards Peter
Pug 306 Dipped Lights - yorkiebar
If no sidelights working you will get problems at mot time too.

They need to be working and to be checked seperate from headlamps.
Hi

Just an update..

Right so its not the resistor. as if tried a new one... its not the connector that the resistor goes into as iv had it cut off and its wired direct to the resistor.

The other thing which it might be is the dim dip relay.

Does anyone know where this is located. and how can you check if its damages/broke?

thanks
Read scfc's post. It is inside the wing. Regards Peter