Vintage Merc or a Skoda Octavia ? - ajit matthew
Since I live in the middle of town, I presently run a small Suzuki Alto (used by SWMBO on kindergarten run - difficult to find amongst SUV's) and a Honda Civic. The Honda is 4 years approaching 40 k miles and used for commuting, it is great for parking and town use but nothing is wrong it except that there is not much space for long journeys with a 3 year old daughter or visiting in laws. Am in a dilemma of either

1: Selling the honda and buying an Octavia
2: Keeping the Honda and buying a good, well maintained Merc 124 (love the build quality and no complicated electronics) - hace seen a doctor owned 300E with 58000 miles. My plan is to use this car during weekends (need something to accomodate two golf sets) and long journeys. (around 7500 miles per annum). Have covered secure parking space for it

The attraction is that I could pay cash down for the Merc whereas I need to finance the Skoda ( have already splashed out on an upmarket house so no additional drips would be welcome).

Could the impartial HJ forum, please tell me

1: Which makes economic sense over next 4 years

2: Will the Merc be a liability with massive maintenance bills considering that it would be used for long drives and weekend use ?

3: Am I being rational or thinking too laterally
Re: Vintage Merc or a Skoda Octavia ? - Dave
"doctor owned 300E with 58000 miles."

Wouldn't it be better to buy one owned by a mechanic? ;-)
Re: Vintage Merc or a Skoda Octavia ? - j.cronin
I've travelled in a Skoda recently, it bear's no relation to a VW irrespective of their advertizing.
Re: Vintage Merc or a Skoda Octavia ? - Andrew Barnes
Most of the parts of the Skoda are shared with the rest of the VW Group range. Floorpan, engine, mechanicals, electrics, door handles, interior switches are identical. They are basically a VW with a skoda badge.

Andrew
www.hispecgolfs.co.uk
The trim is not as good,neither is the fit of parts and the NVH is nowhere near as good;I never said the Skoda was a bad car;it's just not as good as a VW.As always, you only get what you pay for!And before you ask-Noise,Vibration & Harshness.
Re: Vintage Merc or a Skoda Octavia ? - Graham
I agree with that, my Sharan is rubbish in comparison with my Felicia. Oh that goes for the dealers too!

I will never buy another VW.
Re: Vintage Merc or a Skoda Octavia ? - Alwyn
Dave,

Doctors, generally, can afford to pay mechanics.
Re: Vintage Merc or a Skoda Octavia ? - David W
And mechanics know when to sell!

David
Re: Vintage Merc or a Skoda Octavia ? - JB
The Skoda will not do in your Golf Clubhouse car park. (Joking!)

You have not said how much the two cars are being offered for.

However, regarding servicing costs, an old Merc can be safely serviced at a good "non-franchised" garage - for example this web site lists one in my part of Surrey (Walton/Weybridge).

From past postings on this site, the Merc should be good for many thousands of miles with full annual services; and at your mileage rate it should see you through 20 years!
Re: Vintage Merc or a Skoda Octavia ? - Chris
The Merc will give you more style and the Skoda be boring efficient. Depends what you want, reckon the loss on the Merc will be less although but you could be unluckly a cop a few big bills..
Re: Vintage Merc or a Skoda Octavia ? - Neil
> doctor owned 300E with 58000 miles.

From Autoexpress:

High-risk Doctors

Doctors are more likely to be involved in a car crash than any other profession. A survey by insurer Churchill revealed it's due to the long hours they work. Social workers, chefs and recruitment consultants are also at risk.
Re: Vintage Merc or a Skoda Octavia ? - Ian Cook
ajit matthew wrote:
>
> ...nothing is wrong it (Honda Civic) except that there is not much space for long journeys with a 3 year old daughter or visiting in laws.

Will the Octavia be big enough? It's basically a Golf floor pan. Your 3 year old child will get a lot bigger and accumulate a lot more gear to cart around.

I think you need to think bigger.

Ian
Don't believe the adverts;ride in a Skoda-I have.
Re: Vintage Merc or a Skoda Octavia ? - Jason
J Cronin (or moanin more like)

For god sake Change the record. If you have had a bad experience with Skodas then fine but look at all the positive posts on here from lots of different people.

They are good cars.
Re: Vintage Merc or a Skoda Octavia ? - Graham Sherlock
My wife bought a new Octavia last Easter. Apart from using more oil then I would like, bedding in apparently, it can handle anything we throw at it. Took 4 of us to Wales last year (3f, 1 m + luggage), the air-con a definite bonus. It can get a shuffle on when you need to. It is definitely a 4-seater, as an outing with wife + 3 elderly relatives was a squeeze.

The one downside is the smell of petrol, after filling up to the first click on the petrol pump nozzle.

It's down to the old adage, 'you pays your money'. S'pose you can always try 'Right car, wrong car'. Don't forget mats 'n flaps girls.
Re: Vintage Merc or a Skoda Octavia ? - RickyBoy
SKODA, SKODA, SKODA without a shadow of a doubt. I've had an Octavia SLXi for three and a half years now and the only thing to go wrong with it in that time was a rear light bulb needed replacing! It was so pleasurable to drive away after three years of free servicing (no longer available) too. I test drove a 51 plate 1.8 Turbo 4x4 the other week and will make a purchase as soon as I have found the right colour/struck the best deal.

So, if it's a '98 SLXi in Chilli Red metallic with 36,000 on the clock that you're looking for...
Re: Vintage Merc or a Skoda Octavia ? - AndyS
I have driven an hired Octavia 1.6 500 miles in a day. It compared very favourably with a Golf 1.6. Slightly less ostentatiously "high quality" interior. Fine in an unremarkably, unmemorably, got-on-and-did-the-job sort of way.
Good, competent car.
Re: Vintage Merc or a Skoda Octavia ? - Dog Breath
I would avoid the Merc - I had a C Class and although the badge looked good it was like a barge to drive. They do just "glide" along but this becomes boring after a few months. Also I had major problems with the auto gear box.

I have little experience of the Skoda but noticed in a recent taxi drive in Prague (a) the boot was massive and (b) the diesel engine was very noisy on acceleration. The engine was almost new so maybe it is a running in issue and (c) the taxi driver had chronic B.O.

As an aside - a taxi ride in a new Passat - the interior looked superb.

You need a lot of space with kids - what about the new Honda CRV?
Re: Vintage Merc or a Skoda Octavia ? - Mahatma Coate
The C-class (before the current one) was basically horrible and not very reliable. The E is a different kettle of fish altogether. No contest.
Re: Vintage Merc or a Skoda Octavia ? - Steve
100% agree; I could not wait to get rid of my C220 (95 model); I replaced it with a e300d (W124) 3 yrs ago and have not looked back. Super car.
Re: Vintage Merc or a Skoda Octavia ? - Pete W
From your original posting it sounds as if you've talked yourself into the Merc anyway. To hell with it..........take the Merc, did you see the 'Right Car, Wrong Car' one with the second hand Merc ?