Catalytic Converter - Ceramic or Steel - Morpheus
Hi folks,

Have got to replace the centre section of my 1999 Citiroen Saxo 1.1's exhaust after the pipe rotted through.

Been looking online and there seems to be two options, ceramic @ £30 + VAT or Steel @ £75 + VAT.

Can anyone advise what the best option would be? For less than half the price, the ceramic one looks good, but there must be a reason its so cheap.

Also, when I ring my local motor factors they ask if my cat has On Board Diagnostics. According to www.cats-direct-shop.co.uk and other sites, they never had OBD on the 1.1 engine, only the 1.4 but the motor factor bloke said it was the 1.1 too. How do I know who's right?!?!

All advice appreciated!!!

G
Catalytic Converter - Ceramic or Steel - mss1tw
If the car is a 1999 it will have OBD
Catalytic Converter - Ceramic or Steel - adverse camber
Is he asking if there is a sensor in the cat ? All 99 cars will have some sort of obd. Not all cars will have a sensor in the cat though (or at least I dont think so)
Catalytic Converter - Ceramic or Steel - Screwloose
G

The engine code will tell you. If it's an HFX, [mainly fitted 2000-on] it's got a post-cat sensor: if it's an HDY or HDZ - it hasn't.
Catalytic Converter - Ceramic or Steel - jc2
Eobd will have a Hego sensor(lambda) before and after the cat;a non-Eobd only before the cat.
Thanks guys, I know I have a lambda sensor in the front pipe but will check the engine code to make sure if there is one after the cat too.

Now....

Anyone got any views on whether to go for the ceramic or steel cat?!?!?

Cheers

M
Anyone?!?
Catalytic Converter - Ceramic or Steel - bell boy
a scrap cat
ie one that is worthless to the man in the street but priceless to a world wise street urchin will get £35 groats minimum from a proper ragnboneman
does that help?
a scrap cat
ie one that is worthless to the man in the street
but priceless to a world wise street urchin will get £35
groats minimum from a proper ragnboneman
does that help?

Not really, I want a new one but am trying to establish the difference between a ceramic and a steel one, not where to buy one from. Thanks for taking the time to reply though.

BTW, what are groats?!?!
Catalytic Converter - Ceramic or Steel - Aprilia
Both ceramic and steel should do the same job (as reagrds emissions control). I believe the ceramic are more fragile and generally not as durable, they also carry a shorter warranty (usually). If you are keeping the car more than 2 years then go for steel, otherwise ceramic.
Catalytic Converter - Ceramic or Steel - bell boy
sorry Morpheus i was speaking with forked tongue
buy the cheapest as these non oe cats dont seem to get through the emmissions the following year and at £35 does it really matter to replace
Ive started fitting s/h oe cats to vehicles that need them .
Cheers for the last two replies!

Have gone for the ceramic one in the end, as suggested!!

It comes with a 2 year warranty and thats about my timeframe for getting my arse in gear and saving for a (nearly) new car anyway so should do the job!!!

Cheers again!

M