Why arent new vans taxed on emissions? - stunorthants26
Given that they make up a huge portion of vehicles on the road, it seems a little onesided for cars.
My Suzuki van is taxed as a 1300cc vehicle at £180 a year, no mention of emissions on the tax form as with my parents Hyundai Coupe which costs only a few pounds more and puts out 226 on the CO2.
Is this just another stealth tax?
I had a car with 1300cc and I was only paying £110 a year.

Why arent new vans taxed on emissions? - bell boy
engines smaller than 1546 cc i think it is and registered prior to 2001 are taxed at £110
your van is classed as very inneficient and is taxed accordingly like all vehicles past the 2001 watershed ,maybe the reason its not made any more?
has it been fixed then?
Why arent new vans taxed on emissions? - Wales Forester
My works Sprinter 56 reg is £110 for 12 months, 2148cc diesel.
look here..................i assume it must encompass vans as well

www.vcacarfueldata.org.uk/search/vedSearch.asp
According to the website, my van doesnt fall into any catagory - I pay £93.50 for 6 months yet according to their chart, I should be paying either £82.50 for Band E or £104.55 for Band F.

Whats that about then?
your a hologram?
ring the local taxation office up in the morning your van may be wrongly classed
does sound dear to be honest
I cannot find a Co2 figure anywhere for my van.

On my parenst road tax form, it lists the Co2 rating - on mine it doesnt - why?
Ok, well according to the government, the emissions on my van are zero - I cut and paste this from their website:

Date of Liability 01 06 2007
Date of First Registration 08 12 2005
Year of Manufacture 2005
Cylinder Capacity (cc) 1298CC
CO2 Emissions 0g/Km
Fuel Type Petrol
Export Marker Not Applicable
Vehicle Status Licence Not Due
Vehicle Colour WHITE
Vehicle Type Approval N1

Is there something strange about my van that I dont know about? Apparently it runs on air!
Why arent new vans taxed on emissions? - boxsterboy
So where does all that petrol that you put in it go to??
Why arent new vans taxed on emissions? - jc2
Your vehicle is an N1(bottom line on logbook) and as such is strictly a commercial vehicle(no VAT either).A car or minibus(upto 9 seats) or a mixed use vehicle will be registered as an M1 vehicle(VAT applicable).Different rates of duty apply,different emission levels and,what is widely ignored,different speed limits.(60mph on dual carriageways,motorways & 50 mph. on single carriageways.
My point is though, im not taxed on emissions - my road tax form has no mention of the emissions unlike the form for my parents car and according to the DVLA website, there is no figure for emissions for my vehicle.

I do observe those speed limits you mention jc2 - I recall someone asked about their Nissan Pickup I think it was and on inspection, discovered that along with that pickup, my van also fell under those speed limits and have adjusted my driving accordingly, much to the dismay of those behind me who are unaware of the law.

I think ill phone the DVLA and get a definative answer on what criteria my van is taxed under.
I have the definative answer - my van is NOT taxed by emissions.

Its turns out, when they went over to emissions based road tax for cars in 2001, they then split commercial vehicles from cars and taxed both differently.

I was told that light commercial vehicles built between 2001 and 2005 that are NOT Euro 4 compliant on emissions, are taxed on a flat rate basis with no variation for either emissions
( which apparently are not measured at manufacture as they do with cars ) or engine size.

It was Euro 4 emissions that stopped them selling the Carry in the UK and why I got mine so cheap when it was new - Jan 2006 was the cut off point and I came along in December 05 - good timing.

There is at this time no requirement for fuel economy (and therefore CO2)to be declared on N1 registered vehicles;your logbook will tell you if you have an M1 or an N1(there are also M2 and M3 and N2 and N3).
All M1 vehicles sold after Jan. 1 2006 must comply with St.IV emissions.