HT Lead - M Reg Ford Fiesta - lolavit
I have an M reg Fiesta that has recently broken down on the motorway. The RAC came out to fix it and said my alternator needed replacing which has been done. The car still won't start, on another call out to the RAC they say it is the lead that connects the alternator to the battery that is corroded. What is this called? I have had a guy look at the car who says it is an HT lead but another guy days it is something different? Basically I need to know if this is a big or small job and can I buy the lead myself? Please help!
HT Lead - M Reg Ford Fiesta - Collos25
Its the alternator battery feed ,HT leads connect the plugs and coils to the distributer
HT Lead - M Reg Ford Fiesta - Cliff Pope
With all respect if you cannot distinguish between an HT lead that carries 20,000 volts but hardly any current, and the main alternator cable that can take 100 amps at only about 14 volts, then I'm not sure you ought to be contemplating this job yourself.
This cable is live - ie it is connected directly to the battery and has no fuse. If it shorts to earth, or your spanner or watch strap, you will find it is like using an arc welder with bare hands.
Obviously you need to disconnect the battery earth first, and know exactly what calibre of cable you need, and what terminals. It's an easy job if you are competent, but it's not one for learning on.
HT Lead - M Reg Ford Fiesta - Simon
Be careful when replacing parts to fix faults that have been diagnosed by others. It will not necessarily fix the problems that you are encountering. I'm not saying that the RAC man is wrong, but just because that is what he said, don't take it as gospel.

There are lots of people in this world who will tell you what is wrong with your car, but not so many who are prepared to fix it using the diagnosis that they have just provided. That is because it is easy to say its this, this and this, that is wrong, and there is little comeback on opinion. But if they had to fix your car themselves maybe they wouldn't be so quick to tell you exactly what was wrong with it for fear of being wrong.

So my advice is to make sure that you are happy that the diagnosis is right, otherwise you could end up needlessly replacing parts that are functioning correctly. I suppose my point is underlined by the fact that you have already had the alternator replaced after it broke down and the car is still not working right.
HT Lead - M Reg Ford Fiesta - lolavit
Thanks for the advice, I now have the car booked into a garage I just have to get the battery charged enough to start it so that I can get it there! I have quickly learnt that getting a 'mate' who knows a bit about cars is not woth while so I am off to see the experts..
HT Lead - M Reg Ford Fiesta - Screwloose
lolavit

The Fiesta alternator output loom is available as a separate part from Ford. It only runs from the alternator to the starter [about 18"] so it shouldn't cost too much. Whichever sort you have [bolt terminal or Europlug] there's an in-line plug for the warning light wire [the blue one] just back from the starter.

Make sure your garage is very careful when undoing the starter connexion bolts; they can corrode and be stiff enough to crack the plastic end-cap on the solenoid.