Civic Engine management warning light. - mal
I have a Honda Civic Aerodeck. A year ago the light came on and I immediately went to my Honda dealer and had it checked out, they reset it for me saying that if it came back on a new oxygen sensor would be needed. Sods law and it came back on 2 weeks later. I enquired about the price for a new one and was shocked at their quote.
Being "well in" with the garage they suggested I bought a non oe sensor and they would fit it for me. I found an inernet site which sold them for £65 , a lot less than the Honda brand and they fitted it for free!.
When it was fitted everything was ok for a few weeks until the warning light reapeared again. I contacted the dealers and they said this happpened often, saying I should all in next time it comes on. Problem is I have made a few attempts to journey to the dealers when it came on and (sods law again) each time it goes off before I get there.
I now just ignore it when it comes on as I know it will only be on for a few days.
The car runs ok, Should I be concerned?, the service manager gives me the impression I should not be, He is a genuine guy but should trust him in his judgement.
Engine management warning light. - Dave N
The fault code is set, even if the light then goes out on next startup. You can flash these codes yourself to save a trip to the garage. If it's the oxygen sensor, then there's your problem. If there is something wrong and it's setting a code then it needs fixing.

Many aftermarket O2 sensors for Hondas don't work. Do a search and you'll see numerous threads about them. The best option for O2 sensors are the genuine Honda ones, unless you want to keep seeing your friend at the garage.
Engine management warning light. - mal
Mmmm. ok then that has got me thinking, not noticed any major increase in petrol consumption, so next time it comes on how do I "flash" the codes myself with a paperclip?. If it points to the oxygen sensor again should I bite the bullet, open my wallet,and hand it over to the dealers to fix, then if they fit theirs and it comes on again it is their problem under warranty.
Engine management warning light. - Falkirk Bairn
I have an Aerodeck, just under 6 yrs old and the same thing happens to me - car runs for weeks and then comes on. Paid £61 the 1st time - now I just disconnect the battery and it is off. This started 3 weeks after a new Cat (3rd party) was fitted - cannot say of they are related - Honda garage wanted another Cat (Honda) & sensor fitted

Problem for the New Year when the MoT/Service is due. So far MPG (36mpg+/-) is better than before old CAT was replaced
Engine management warning light. - yorkiebar
Dont automatically assume its the sensor thats at fault.

If it is only informing you of whats flowing past it, thats what could be the problem.

Find the fault and fix it, not just replace the bit that tells you !

if Honda are not concerned, I would assume they have investigated the fault codes, then I wouldn't be. Some cars ave prone to engine lights flashing on and offf and not affecting performance, confirmed by being on gas analysers etc at the time.

Another case, imo, of too much technical electrics, where it doesnt need to be.
Civic Engine management warning light. - Screwloose
mal

Now you know why Honda can continue to charge so much [£300-odd?] for their various oxy sensors - the pattern ones aren't precise enough for the ECU not to spot them and put the light on.

Sadly; this is a very common tale. Many, many garages have been down the same road. Assuming that the cause of the light turns out to be Lambda codes; 1, 43, or [the usual] 48: the only permanent answer is a genuine sensor.