Tyres, can you tell the difference? - mal
Hi, I have just had new pirelli P7 tyres fitted to my Honda Civic 1.6.
Previously It ran on Dunlop 300E 195-60-15 H, what has surprised me is the difference in the ride. The ride is much smoother and seems to roll a lot easier. At first I thought I was imagining it all until my wife noticed the same effect without me prompting her. I have checked the tyre pressures and they are set at same pressure as my old tyres.
Are we imagining it is there reay a marked difference between brands?.

Regards Mal.
Just to add, there was still at least 2 mm .tread left on the old tyres but seeing as winter was here decided to change them now, also the Pirelli P7's are V rated.
Sorry, they were 195-65-15
Tyres, can you tell the difference? - MichaelR
There is an enormous difference between tyres. Independant tests have shown the difference in, say, braking distance in the wet from 70mph can be up to 3 car lengths between the best and worst premum brand tyres.

This is why I always fit Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3.
Tyres, can you tell the difference? - Harmattan
Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3. Only tyre I have ever used where people would come up and comment on the superb tyres and ignore the GTI they were attached. Rather galling but they are a superb all-rounder and well worth the extra. Just under 20,000 miles on the front of a Peugeot 309 GTI and a few thousand more still left on the rears when it was sold. There are other tyres that will be as good at one thing or the other -- I remember some Kumhos on an Audi coupe which were as good as the Goodyears in the dry but positively dangerous on a greasy surface.
Tyres, can you tell the difference? - Hamsafar
Yes, I like the P7s too, the only thing is they seemed prone to damage by road hazzards and punctures, but maybe it was just my bad luck.
Tyres, can you tell the difference? - Bill Payer
... what has surprised me is the difference in the ride.

I had Bridgestone Turanza on my Merc, not particularly low profile, and it was like driving with iron rings rather than rubber tyres. All Bridgestone's are noted for this - some people think it makes them more 'precise'.
The standard Michelin Primacy replacements are much more comfortable, and Michelin also do an 'MO' (Mercedes Option) version which is apparently even softer riding.
Tyres, can you tell the difference? - LeePower
Michelin everytime for me.

Used to have Pilot Primacys & they where just outstanding for grip & service life, now im moving over to the Pilot Exalto PE2, I would have gone to the Primacy HP but they dont do them in the size I need which is a shame.

Tyres, can you tell the difference? - martint123
I used to find a marked difference in feel between just old and new tyres of the same make.
I think it must be the extra flex of that extra amount of tread.
Tyres, can you tell the difference? - R75
Just got rid of a pair of P6000's off of the front of one of our cars, they had about 2.5mm left on them, put some Firestone TZ200's on in their place and the handling has improved no end. The car is a MPV and in the wet it is much better, but is also a changed car on the motorway. Will be putting the same on back of my car in the next month or so as I was that impressed by them.
Tyres, can you tell the difference? - Mad Maxy
Once had a 1984 BMW 3 series. Changed the original Uniroyals on the front for Michelins and the steering feel was quite different - horrible, in fact.
Tyres, can you tell the difference? - sierraman
I put Michelin ZXs on my Anglia 1200,so some time ago,they were awful,have never used Michelin since.
Tyres, can you tell the difference? - Hamsafar
I've never like Michelins either, never had a good experience with any type on any car, can't wait until my current Pilots Primacys or whatever they're called wear out. They're screech in the dey and fight for grip in the wet which can't do the car any good. I think they're also noisy on the motorway, but won't know whether it's the tyre or car until I get rid of them.
Tyres, can you tell the difference? - mss1tw
fight for grip in the wet which can't do
the car any good.

Why's that?
Tyres, can you tell the difference? - LeePower
Having tried Pirelli, Dunlop, Firestone, Continental & Goodyear tyres in the past all I can say is there's no way on earth I would ever fit anything other then a Michelin.

My 206 came with Goodyear tyres & I can wait to get rid of them ( as soon as my wheels are ready ) & get some Michelin on instead.

At the moment in the wet the Goodyear's give the car all the grip & poise of a blind 3 legged drunk Bambi on ice.

Michelin everytime for me.
Tyres, can you tell the difference? - Roly93
I put Michelin ZXs on my Anglia 1200,so some time ago,they
were awful,have never used Michelin since.

>>
This must have been a while ago if they were ZX's. I have to say now mmichelin are some of the best all-round tyres you can get, they are just so dammed expensive.
Tyres, can you tell the difference? - Roly93
Yes there is a huge difference between tyres and even types of tyre within brands.
I went over from Continental Sport Contacts to Conti Premium Contacts on my Audi A4 and it has ruined the ride. I thought I was buying a tyre which would be better for motorway cruising, how wrong I was.
Tyres, can you tell the difference? - L'escargot
When I had steering problems (the car pulled to one side during acceleration) caused by the dimensional inaccuracy of the factory-fitted Firestone Firehawk tyres a few years ago, the dealer cured the problems by fitting a set of Michelins. They stated that the reputation in the trade was that Michelins were the best for dimensional accuracy.
--
L\'escargot.
Tyres, can you tell the difference? - Andy P
Many moons ago, when I had an '89 Cavalier SRi, the original Pirelli tyres were terrible in the wet for understeer. I replaced them with Yokohama A520s and the difference was unbelievable. The increase in grip was something to behold and transformed the handling of the car.

My current Accord TypeS runs on Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 tyres, and I wouldn't change them for anything else. They're superb in both the dry and wet, which is probably why they're to be found as standard fitment on all Koenigseggs, the McLaren SLR, Porsche 911 GT2/GT3 and the Bugatti Veyron.

www.etyres.co.uk/tyres-detailed-information/michel...m
Tyres, can you tell the difference? - Group B
At first I
thought I was imagining it all until my wife noticed the
same effect without me prompting her.

Part of the difference will be because you have gone from 2mm tread to 7 or 8mm tread on the new tyres, so the thicker tread blocks can 'squirm' more in contact with the road and give a markedly different feel.

Not disputing what you say as it does make sense, but I have changed tyres many times before in the past and never experienced such a big difference in the ride.
The car is my wife's and I have always considered it to be a harder ride than my old shape Civic Aerodeck with Pirerlli P6000 185-60-14 H but now there is very little dfference between the two.