Car buying advice - kerb appeal for £10k - UncleR
Hoping for some car buying advice.

Currently own a 3 Series BMW Compact which I like mainly for the fact it is incredibly reliable, feels solid and looks decent (I think). But with the arrival of our first child this year I am feeling the pressure from the other half to get something bigger. In fact, I refuse to accept the necessity for a mini-bus now we have a child (getting him in and out of the hatchback in his car chair is no problem) but I do concede that we need a bigger boot (particularly if we are going to holiday in this country).

So we're looking for a 4 door car (not people carrier). I have enjoyed owning the beemer but with a budget of around £10k I suspect that upgrade won't be possible. And as I haven't quite given up all interest in cars because I am now a father, it would be nice to have something which has a bit of poke and even possibly a bit of kerb appeal. Too much to ask for £10k? Might be able to push budget a little higher if need be.

Thanks
Car buying advice - kerb appeal for £10k - Spospe
How about the new shape Yaris? It has plenty of internal space and a variable size boot depending on the position of the rear seat. It comes with quick-fit attachment points for rear child seats and is both reliable and cheap to insure.
Car buying advice - kerb appeal for £10k - ablandy
honda accord 2.4l - type S or exec spec.

Type s has fancy alloys and firmer suspension - exec has sat nav and leather

quick enough. I have the estate which would give you acres of room. Have driven an old 328 estate and this drives so much better. I find the image v middle of the road, but the type s body kit on the estate balances the rear visually, in my opinion.

and the electric tailgate always impresses. Its porbably quite practical if you have you hands full of baby gear!
Car buying advice - kerb appeal for £10k - ablandy
by the way, i am assuming second hand!

Car buying advice - kerb appeal for £10k - bradgate
What about a Skoda Octavia TDI?

More space than you have currently and you could get a relatively new model for your budget.
Car buying advice - kerb appeal for £10k - BB
Roofbox
Car buying advice - kerb appeal for £10k - Lud
Roofbox to you too
Car buying advice - kerb appeal for £10k - BazzaBear {P}
Alfa 156 GTA
Volvo S60 T5
Jag X-type 3.0

All depending on how old a car you're thinking of, of course.
Car buying advice - kerb appeal for £10k - BB
Dont want to hijack this thread but did you get a drive in a T5 Bazza?
Car buying advice - kerb appeal for £10k - BazzaBear {P}
No, not yet. There's no good ones in my area currently. Plus, having looked more deeply into the service schedule, the rush to sell the Coupe has been removed, so I'm back to a vague 'in the next year or two' plan for the change over.
I'm in no rush, the Coupe is great fun.
Car buying advice - kerb appeal for £10k - adverse camber
why not a 3xx touring ?

The auction prices look reasonable - depends on engine and how new you want it to be. I think £10K gives you a reasonable choice.

Car buying advice - kerb appeal for £10k - bobda
Volvo S60 T5

Cross the S60 off your list if you're considering it, UncleR. You get more room in an Easyjet seat than you do in the back of an S60!
Car buying advice - kerb appeal for £10k - ForumNeedsModerating
Hi UncleR

I'm surprised no-one's mentioned the 'obvious' contender: old style 5-series.

It would seem to tick most, if not all, of your boxes. I was scouting this as a possible replacement recently, and, from my recollections, £10k-ish would buy a very decent Y to 52 plate 525 (maybe even higher mileage 525D/530D) with auto,leather,cd & maybe 50-70k miles with pukka history.

I very nearly bought one, but settled for something a bit less sporty eventually (family considerations) & still 'hmmm.' over that.
Cracking looking & going car imho.

cheers
woodbines

Car buying advice - kerb appeal for £10k - Pugugly {P}

"I'm surprised no-one's mentioned the 'obvious' contender: old style 5-series"

Give me a break I've only just got home !

Car buying advice - kerb appeal for £10k - Altea Ego
2002 02 Reg RENAULT AVANTIME 2.0 16V Turbo Dynamique3 Doors, Manual, Coupe, Petrol, 24,218 miles, Electric Blue, FACTORY SATALITE MAVIGATION (Sat Nav) Remote Central Locking, Electric Windows, Electric Sunroof (Full Length Glass ), Electric Mirrors, ABS, Traction Control, Climate Control, Power Steering, Drivers Airbag, Passenger Airbag, Cruise Control, Alarm, CD Multi Player (With Remote Control, Immobiliser, Half Leather Interior, Alloy Wheels, 6 Speed Manual, Real Head Turner !!! . £10,495
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Car buying advice - kerb appeal for £10k - mlj
If this is your first child, do not underestimate just how much gear you have to lug about, particularly on holiday. Carry-cot, changing bags, pushchair, toys. That's before you pack a toothbrush for the parents! In other words, you'll need a boot with the necessary dimensions to swallow some of the bulkier and oddly shaped items. I can appreciate the idea of kerb appeal but have in mind when you look at cars that it will be you loading and unloading all this stuff. Mrs Uncle R as well, perhaps!
Doesn't mean you have to buy an MPV of course - but it might narrow your options.
Car buying advice - kerb appeal for £10k - Pugugly {P}
SATALITE MAVIGATION surely Sat Mav !

I agree with you RF, even I would have one of those - possibly in preference to a 5 series.

Vauxhall Signum ???
Thanks for these suggestions (I knew I had come to the right place!). I'll digest them all (and any more if they arise).

Some of the suggestions are very encouraging. I need to come to terms with if I am going for some of the pricier makes then it may be that it won't be much newer that the car we have (which feels weird because you usually buy a newer car..).

Definitely understand about the luggage space point - when we go shopping and see the pram in the boot we just look at each other quizzically at the moment wondering where we're going to put it all!
Car buying advice - kerb appeal for £10k - DavidHM
Uncle:

Zero image but does everything else: Mondeo 2.5 Zetec S estate

www.tradecentre.co.uk/cars/detail.asp?Id=306319

On the other hand, it's not much cheaper and only 18 months newer than this, which has similar performance but trades the sporty add ons for the prestige name:

www.tradecentre.co.uk/cars/detail.asp?Id=306240

And this Accord Type-S is likely to be the most reliable sporty estate you can get for your budget as well as being rather good to drive:

www.tradecentre.co.uk/cars/detail.asp?Id=297690

Finally this Mazda6 - great on paper, but apparently a bit underwhelming on the road:

www.tradecentre.co.uk/cars/detail.asp?Id=307195
Car buying advice - kerb appeal for £10k - Big Bad Dave
When the child outgrows his pram and starts using a pushchair, things get a bit easier.

I have one of those Maclarens, they fold up thin like an umbrella and only weigh a few kilos and it makes a big difference to the boot space.
Car buying advice - kerb appeal for £10k - daveyjp
Our A3 copes well with all the luggage required for two adults and a 7 month old - but we do have a Quinny Buzz pram chassis which is small when folded, for times when plenty of space is required the wheels come off and can be stored in the rear footwell. Anything much smaller could be a problem, but my sister in law coped with a Punto for five years. Anything Focus sized or larger should fit the bill.
Yes, the A3 has been suggested by the Other Half but I wondered about boot space. Glad you aren't suggesting buying a new pram - I think we spent as long chosing a £300 pram as we did buying our last car!

@DavidHM - Those links are really useful. The 'sportier' estates look good.

I'll follow up all the suggestions. Thanks.
Car buying advice - kerb appeal for £10k - Statistical outlier
I can endorse the Accord estate. It's a delight to own, I've got the diesel, but I've heard very good things about the 2.4 petrol.
Car buying advice - kerb appeal for £10k - tyro
@DavidHM - Those links are really useful. The 'sportier' estates
look good.

Hope you are not planning to go into central London. Most of them are band G :-)
Car buying advice - kerb appeal for £10k - peterb
How much are new shape Leon Turbos now? (I assume the old shape would be too small.)