Severn Bridge crossing tolls increase ?? - autumnboy
The 2007 Severn bridge crossing tolls increasing next year, can it be justified with the amount of traffic that passes both Tolls on the M4 and M48.

"itvregions.com quoted:- From January, cars will have to pay five pounds ten to cross - that's a rise of 20 pence. Small goods vehicles and small buses will pay 10 pounds 20, while HGVs and buses will have to pay 15 pounds 30."

Normally the increase is 10p per year, now 20p. Maybe 2008 it will be 40p.

Severn Bridge crossing tolls increase ?? - Roly93
I wonder myself, as a regular Severn Crossing user, how they justify the increases which are above inflation. I remember wheb it used to be 40p ! Now at £4.90 they must be raking in mega-money.
Severn Bridge crossing tolls increase ?? - DP
As a mate of mine once said, they're missing an opportunity. People quibble at a fiver to get into Wales, but most people would willingly pay £20 to get out!

I have family in Wales, and nothing against the Welsh by the way. Just a tongue in cheek comment.

Cheers
DP
Severn Bridge crossing tolls increase ?? - Armitage Shanks {p}
Dundee toll bridge is free to go into Dundee and you pay to get. Worth every penny from what I recall of Dundee!
Severn Bridge crossing tolls increase ?? - AlastairM
What you have to remember is this:

Car driver = bottomless pot of money
Do we need to justify any additional charges we want to make = No
Will they be compliant = Yes
Will they pay it = Yes

Apply the above to any question you want to ask regarding charging car drivers money.
Severn Bridge crossing tolls increase ?? - Snakey
Its the same scenario with the Tyne Tunnel. They are putting up their prices soon and will probably increase them regularly in order to found the mysterious 'new' tunnel that is going to be built. (whenever that is)

But as you say, we will grumble about it but ultimately pay as we have no choice.
Severn Bridge crossing tolls increase ?? - artful dodger {P}
The Dartford Crossing was originally going to be a toll until it was paid for. Then they built an extra tunnel and finally a bridge. It is now managed by a private company and costs £1.00 for a car each way, move for vans and lorries. The tolls have now rasied more than the cost of all building, yet the charge remains. For a history of the crossing www.highways.gov.uk/roads/projects/4073.aspx .

The article on charges applied at the Dartford Crossing by the Association of British Drivers is worth reading - many of the comments also apply to the Severn Bridge. www.abd.org.uk/dartford_tolls.htm

--
Roger
I read frequently, but only post when I have something useful to say.
Severn Bridge crossing tolls increase ?? - ffidrac {P}
Never paid the toll on either bridge since 2000. (Blue Badge holders are granted free 'passage' on production of the badge.)
Severn Bridge crossing tolls increase ?? - autumnboy
Being the Old Severn Bridge and Humber bridge are Designed and Constructed by Freeman Fox and Parteners. But the Humber the larger of the two.

Why should the Tolls be totally different :- Humber £2.70p/car Severn £4.90p/car.

One reason would be the greedy french (GTM) who share the maintenance of the two Severn crossings with John Laing.

What the volume of traffic that passes through the tolls, how can they justify the new increase in the Tolls for 2007 @ £5.10p. Where the inflation rate is 2.4% and the increase is 4%

You have the tolls being dropped from bridges in Scotland and shortly the Tolls should be dropped from the Dartford tunnels reading an article on the net.

Why should those who are trying earn a living be taken for granted to pay coffers for others, when there is no reasonable employment in thier own area.

Severn Bridge crossing tolls increase ?? - Micky
">Tolls should be dropped from the Dartford tunnels reading an article on the net.<"

I have succeeded already?
Severn Bridge crossing tolls increase ?? - colinh
See today's DT regarding the real world inflation rate
Severn Bridge crossing tolls increase ?? - L'escargot
............ From January, cars will have to pay five pounds
ten to cross - that's a rise of 20 pence.

That's an increase of about 4%. I bet you're expecting your salary to go up by at least that amount. ;-)
--
L\'escargot.
Severn Bridge crossing tolls increase ?? - Collos25
I suppose the inflation rate is dependant on who you believe "Mystic Gordon" or the real figure.