Sidelights ok, full-beam ok, but no dip! - denty2005
Hi - I have a 98 VW Passat and have yesterday run into a problem with the headlights.

I have no dipped-beam at all. The sidelights are ok, full-beam is ok, but when dipped-beam is selected, it just displays the sidelights. Not much use in these dark-nights!

I fitted a new rear light/stop bulb the other day as it had gone - and all lights worked fine until yesterday evening. Surely it can't be a coincidence, something must have been affected by doing this - but what?

All seems fine at first inspection. Dipped-beam bulbs are tested & ok, all other lights function correctly, all fuses are intact and have power going to them.

A chap at Nationwide suggested it may be a failed relay. Is this likely?

Anyone encountered this problem with their VW/Audi?
Sidelights ok, full-beam ok, but no dip! - yorkiebar
Replace th replaced bulb with the exact type needed. Sounds like a double contact been fited in a single contact holder or vice versa.

Or just by coincidence the headlight switch has failed
Sidelights ok, full-beam ok, but no dip! - denty2005
The replacement bulb is the correct type - no worries there.
replace it with another bulb. Trust me its only pennies its worth eliminating
Also, take the bul completly out and try the headlights then !
Sidelights ok, full-beam ok, but no dip! - George Porge
Rear lights and side lights are on the same (2) circuits. Side lights stay on when dipped beam is selected, hence if dipped bulb fuses you still show side light on that side.

Test the dipped beam wiring for power.

If both sides have no power and the fuses for both dipped head lights are good (they'll be independantly fused) then it sounds like the column switch is faulty to me ;o)
Sidelights ok, full-beam ok, but no dip! - corblimeyguvnar
Had the same problem all be it on a Metro of all things, turned out it was the column switch, hope its something more simple (and cheaper!!)
CBG
--
Drink Lager, Talk Piffle,
Sidelights ok, full-beam ok, but no dip! - tr7v8
My guess would be either column switch or light switch. A lot of cars don't run a relay for dips so all the current goes through the light switch, V naughty.
Sidelights ok, full-beam ok, but no dip! - George Porge
Having still got main beam, that rules out the dash switch. The switch position is the same for both main and dip, the collumn switch diverts between dipped / main ;o)

VW are the worst for not using relays, this Passat may have them though.

Ask Honest John

Value my car