Rover 214i P reg any good? - Mike M
Hi,

Ive read the very useful Car by car breakdown but would like to canvas a few opinions... Ive been offerd a tidy P reg Rover 214i with the basic 1.4 8-valve K series engine. Its done about 50kmiles and its most recent owner was an elderly gent who won't have driven it hard. Its just passed an mot and starts/drives nicely but seems to have a slight judder occasionally when pulling away - feels like clutch judder. Also, very occasionally when pulling in a higher gear (3rd up) below 2000rpm it will appear to missfire for a few seconds.
Does the point about re-torquing the head bolts apply to these old 8valve K series engines as well as the 16v's? If so how often should this be done? It if should have been done by this age is it now too late - will the damage have been done!? Ive been offered the car for £4000...

Any comments gratefully recieved!
Re: Rover 214i P reg any good? - nick
I can't help you with your engine queries but can tell you (because my father had a similar car) that there is a potential gearbox fault on these cars which results in some shims breaking up and circulating the gearbox in the oil.
Re: Rover 214i P reg any good? - Dave
Clutch judder is common on these. Mine suffers terribly from it and has done for nearly three years and nearly 20,000 miles.

A long as the figure of 4000 is a mis print and you mean 400 then I guess it's a good un...

Actually no, on a P plate you really do mean 4000...

These cars are available on a J plate in mint nick for 450 quid. Why not buy one of those? MInes got 130k on it and isn't ready for the scrappy yet. A mate bought one a month ago on a J plate for 350 in *mint* nick with lunar milage.

Paying 4 grand for a car that's 2 years away from being worthless is crazy.

My 2p's worth. Don't worry about the judder though.
Re: Rover 214i P reg any good? - Andrew Barnes
Far too expensive - Glass's guide reckons 2.8K

AndrewMike M wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Ive read the very useful Car by car breakdown but would like
> to canvas a few opinions... Ive been offerd a tidy P reg
> Rover 214i with the basic 1.4 8-valve K series engine. Its
> done about 50kmiles and its most recent owner was an elderly
> gent who won't have driven it hard. Its just passed an mot
> and starts/drives nicely but seems to have a slight judder
> occasionally when pulling away - feels like clutch judder.
> Also, very occasionally when pulling in a higher gear (3rd
> up) below 2000rpm it will appear to missfire for a few seconds.
> Does the point about re-torquing the head bolts apply to
> these old 8valve K series engines as well as the 16v's? If so
> how often should this be done? It if should have been done by
> this age is it now too late - will the damage have been
> done!? Ive been offered the car for £4000...
>
> Any comments gratefully recieved!
Re: Rover 214i P reg any good? - Richard
Your car actually has a 16 valve engine. All K series lumps are! My wife has a 214 with 120,000 on the clock. It runs very well but the gearbox did let go. I sourced a brand new one for £200. The clutch judder is caused by the clutch plate sticking on the splines. A good dose of copper slip when changing clutch does the job. Apart from that it is very reliable and returns 40mpg all the time.
Re: Rover 214i P reg any good? - David W
Richard,

Not quite. All K16 engines are 16V, the K8 series are 8V.

David
Re: Rover 214i P reg any good? - Mike M
Thanks. I think!

In ansa to some of your comments....

No, you cant get this on a J plate - its the new shape 200 (not the awful old honda inspired 2/400) and No, its not a 16v - there are thousands of 8v K series motors out there (metro's and 100s as well as 200s!)...

Can no-one ansa my question on how often these bolt tings need re-torquing please! HJ?
"it's the new shape 200 (not the awful old honda inspired 2/400)"

Erm, I reckon the new shape one is pretty much the same car with a cosmetic facelift. The front and rear suspension is certainly identical, the engines are the same (except you reckon yours is 8 instead of the 16 valve version in older cars) and I reckon the floor plans are the same.

As for Honda I reckon the new shape is also the same car as the Civic.

Mr D Lacey will be along to answer your question about the head bolts but my advice would be for pity's sake don't touch 'em!

I will reiterate my original point that 4 grand on this car at this age is pure insanity!

Look around a bit more!
Re: Rover 214i P reg any good? - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up Ltd.)
OK I'll answer your question....The head bolts on any K series DO NOT REQUIRE RETORQUING............EVER!!
These are stretch bolts. They can be reused after head work providing their max length has not been exceeded.
The clutch judder could be soft engine mounts but more likely could be engine or gearbox oil getting onto the clutch.
If it feels good to you buy it, Although it is a bit steep £3k is more accurate.
Ciao.
Re: Rover 214i P reg any good? - Roger K.
Your advice on the re-torquing of the head bolts does not agree with the comments at HJ's Car-by-car Breakdown. Who is right?
Andrew.
Re: Rover 214i P reg any good? - Mazza
4K is well over the odds. I have a 97P plate 214SI (16 valve) and recently got offered only 2.5-3K trade in.

I do like the car though nice little runner and very nippy, 8 valve is a fair bit slower I would guess.
Re: Rover 214i P reg any good? So whos right? - Mike M
So who's right here then - Andrew who says the bolts 'NEVER' need re-torquing, or HJ (and a mech. Ive spoken to) who say they need re-torquing regularly!

HELP! I'm at a loss what to do!...