Dealer - Climb Down! - tack
went to local Mitsubishi Dealer on 30th Sept to buy a Colt for step daughter. P/X was good, discount on new was good +manufacturer deal of 50/50 @ 0% over 1yr. + 1yr free insurance. Deal ended at end of Sept, so all ok, sneaked in well. Signed up and deposit left all ok?

Er....no! On the Monday, got a call from dealer to say couldn't have the 50/50 as we were too late. Of you, we are off toK I said, we had a deal all signed for. Still too late they said. I said, OK no deal, give me my deposit back and I won't ever buy a car from you again. Oh...ok they said, you can have the 50/50.

On day of collection of new car (last week) dealer said we couldn;'t have 50/50. Look, we've been over this before, deal is a deal, all signed for. Stuff you, we are off to trading standards. No, no they say, we have a better deal, 0% interest over 2yrs. Lets look at the figures say I. Figures end up paying over a grand more for the car. They have taken discount off!

No way! We are walking. Then to and fro between salesman, manager and Mitsubishi. Came back with offer. 50/50, +free insurance and as it is a new deal, +3yrs free servicing!!!!

Obviously, the dealer was trying to pull a flanker somewhere along the line, and I don't think it had anything to do with Mitsubishi. Not sure what they were trying to pull or why.

Anyway, moral of the story? be prepared to walk away...you just never know how much things can improve. We were prepared to walk away too and I think dealer knew that. The dealership manager had all the charm of a pile of camel dung but without the looks. Vile, vile, vile.

Dealer - Climb Down! - Bill Payer
Write a letter to Mitsubishi saying you think their car is great, and expressing how disappointed you are with the shenanigans of their dealer. With any luck they'll get fired.
Dealer - Climb Down! - Aprilia
Despite all the potted palms and shiny surfaces most dealers are still just modern-day horse traders. Keep that in mind and you won't go far wrong.
Dealer - Climb Down! - Martin Wall
Is the servicing deal fixed to this particular dealer or can you take it elsewhere for the free services?
Dealer - Climb Down! - Westpig
if you stick to your guns in a polite but firm manner and come across as Mr Reasonable you can have enormous satisfaction & 'put the cat amongs the pigeons' if you get really poor service

some years ago i managed to get Cornhill insurance (praising them DD not shaming them) to drop a well known North London main dealer who provided extremely shoddy service and was most indifferent to a customers needs..... took a while and a bit of time, but i was so incensed it was worth it....in fact they've gone bust so it won't hurt to name them { 8< SNIP - regardless of whether they've gone bust or not, some employees *could* well have gone on to work elsewhere and I'm sure they don't want their past to come back and haunt them - DD}

the insurer came out very well indeed, couldn't fault them...