I know we grumble about Plod, but - Nsar
They have to face some real nuts on the road.

This video shows no bloodshed, nobody is hurt but you would hate to be involved.- especially if you were the learner in the Peugeot.

www.totallycrap.com/videos/videos_please_stop/

{Sigh! Yet again a video clip has had to be made non clickable - DD}

I know we grumble about Plod, but - Carse
How useless were the police truncheons being used to try and break the windows.

Carse
I know we grumble about Plod, but - daveyjp
I saw that on Sky last week. The policeman on the bike wasn't the cleverest out there was he? As for the learner did they ever get in a car again? I also noticed how long it took to break a window using the baton - if the police had steel pointed hammers as fitted to trains they would have been in much quicker.
I know we grumble about Plod, but - bell boy
lets put it this way i wouldnt make a good 'armed 'copper-------------
I know we grumble about Plod, but - paulb {P}
lets put it this way i wouldnt make a good 'armed
'copper-------------

Nor I - in that situation, the temptation to bend something round the little scrote's head (by accident, of course) would be substantial.
I know we grumble about Plod, but - Lud
in that situation, the temptation to bend something
round the little scrote's head (by accident, of course) would be
substantial.

I doubt if he got to the station sergeant without a couple of contusions. I imagine the motorcycle plod wanted a word.
I know we grumble about Plod, but - Westpig
safe in the knowledge that the driver will recieve a derisory sentence (depending on his no doubt long and checkered history).......and possibly not even imprisonment, (and even if he did he'd serve only half).........despite the fact the learner driver must have been terrified and the motorcycle cop was crushed between the silver car and the police car with the camera in it, which could have meant a death or life changing injury...

we really have lost the plot in this country haven't we......

I know we grumble about Plod, but - Adam {P}
>>{Sigh! Yet again a video clip has had to be made non clickable - DD}<<

Relax Dave. Or as the youngsters are wont to say, Chillax. (I'm reliably informed of that anyway)

I dont think clicking a video (or any other link for that matter) would actually do anything detrimental would it?
I know we grumble about Plod, but - mss1tw
I dont think clicking a video (or any other link for
that matter) would actually do anything detrimental would it?

The impression I get is that it is believed to jncrease HJ's bandwidth. I have never known this to be the case for any other site though. It's still just a redirect. HJ's site does not have the video streamed through it.
>>I have never known this to be the case for any other site though. It's still just a redirect. HJ's site does not have the video streamed through it.<<

They're my thoughts too.
I know we grumble about Plod, but - Enoughalready
What I really really hate about this clip is the fact it's made to look cool with the addition of that $&@* music, if you call it that! Other plebs will think of the driver (read: waste of space) as some sort of hero.
You'd have to be a braindead moron to think that running over a cop and then smashing into a learner (not to mention the apalling driving!) was cool.
You'd have to be a braindead moron to think that running
over a cop and then smashing into a learner (not to
mention the apalling driving!) was cool.

Adam I always thought you were from the UK.
....I am?
Oh. You must be aware of the abundance of braindead morons we have then? ;o)
Ahhh. Lol. Sorry - I think my brain's gradually shutting down through lack of use!

Yes - you're right - there are some pretty braindead people around. And by some, I mean lots.
But you think they're pretty.
I know we grumble about Plod, but - midlifecrisis
First rule is that motorcycles hould never get involved in a pursuit and put themselves in that position. I think those guys need to spend more time in the gym and he probably had to spend 50hrs picking up litter as it was a non-violent crime!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I know we grumble about Plod, but - local yokel
I'll bet the owner of the car wasn't happy either - bound to have been stolen..

Where exactly did the idea that clickable links "drain" bandwidth from HJ come from? I use at least three other forums that are much busier, and have no problems with live links in posts. Old wives' tale, I suspect.

Mods, fee free to explain it to me in an email.
I know we grumble about Plod, but - Pugugly {P}
I bet that hurt, as a dynamic risk assesment it's not somewhere I'd have put me or my bike even if I was the cop - bad call.
I know we grumble about Plod, but - yorkiebar
What an idiot!

But I hope the police never have to break into my car in an emergency with those truncheons !
I know we grumble about Plod, but - cheddar
and he probably
had to spend 50hrs picking up litter as it was a
non-violent crime!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do you know that? He could have been armed, he could have left the seen of an assault, shooting etc.
I know we grumble about Plod, but - midlifecrisis
He could've been many things......but twelve years in the job tells me what the likely court result would be! My point was that despite nearly killing a good few people, the courts would class this as a 'non-violent' crime.
I know we grumble about Plod, but - Dynamic Dave
I dont think clicking a video (or any other link for that matter) would actually do anything detrimental would it?

There was good reason for it, but try as I might, I can't find the original comment by HJ regarding posting vid clips that started the ball rolling. The only reference I can find is
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=32046
which was posted *shortly* after HJ's comment.

Once I have further clarification from either HJ or Khoo systems, I'll let you know.

DD.
I know we grumble about Plod, but - cheddar
Reckon it is links direct to media that are the issue, i.e. a clickable link that opens a video in media player etc. However a link to a page with embedded video in the Youtube kinda way should be fine.
I know we grumble about Plod, but - Wales Forester
I can't believe the bike cop put himself in such a vulnerable position, I bet he was sore the following day.
Full marks to the bobby in the Omega for finally boxing the idiot in.
Was this on 'Road Wars' ??
The thing I found extraordinary was that no marks appeared on any of the cars despite the cops flailing away with what looked like excessively small iron bars.

I wonder if westpig is right? If I were a magistrate and that clip was shown to me, I would want very urgently to put the driver away, and have him (or her) examined by a big panel of shrinks with a view to some sort of permanent supervision. Utterly diabolical behaviour.
I wonder if westpig is right? If I were a magistrate
and that clip was shown to me, I would want very
urgently to put the driver away, and have him (or her)
examined by a big panel of shrinks with a view to
some sort of permanent supervision. Utterly diabolical behaviour.

a mate has recently become a magistrate......interesting to hear it from his perspective. He is still training but sits at court with two others..........reckons their hands are pretty much tied and that if they give a too stringent sentence it will be rduced on appeal and they get a black mark if it happens too often...

it's the same familiar story.........central guidelines dictate policy and with full prisons they don't want magistrates locking too many people up

not motoring i know but i'll try to sneak it in........watch this space for major problems with retail theft... guidelines for non custodial sentences (which is the ONLY deterrent for some people) will mean an explosion of this type of crime.....small shops will 'go under'.........which will mean you'll have to drive to the bigger ones (managed to get a motoring slant in)
I know we grumble about Plod, but - BobbyG
Westpig, as a supermarket manager, don't I know it!
Fixed Penalties for shop theft have been in for a while and the sky hasn't fallen in.
PU, thats cos they don't get caught all the time!. I have a hard core of junkies who come in constantly to steal, if we catch them, then so what, its another charge to add to the double and treble digits offences they already have. If they don't get caught, they get enough to sell for their fix.
Fixed Penalty Notices are only designed for the first offender type people, with the total value being fairly low... not..
the habitual thief who is extracting the urine.........

if all are allowed to be treated leniently, which is shortly to happen, then yes the sky will fall in, watch this space
being fairly low - £200.00 in this area.
I know we grumble about Plod, but - Hamsafar
Did that car have KITT's molecular bonded shell? I haven't seen that happen since the Knight Rider years.
Anyway, thats getting away from motoring, to get back to the subject of the thread. Watching these Road Wars programs, it seems that British police are now more willing than in previous years to end chases by ramming cars into barriers, walls etc.

Do the police cars have the same airbags etc as normal cars as you don't see these going off in the videos? Also, how long before the cars will have bullbars on the front just like their American friends?
It's not policy to ram........the policy is to let them run out of fuel or crash.....

however with some 'common sense' applied...... sometimes a timely bump to end it is permitted and not written up too much.........the only problem with that is if a police officer gets it wrong he'll be 'hung drawn and quartered' because he'll know they're not supposed to do it
I thought it may have had some security stuff on thre windows, talking to a cop today, he says that the batons have a low kinetic energy so as not to break bones.......sounds like science to me....!
They looked to be using Cascos or Asps, they're small telescopic sticks which have quite a bit of flex when hitting something solid.

Seems what was mumbo jumbo to me was right then. The side handled ones have a non metallic (no doubt a more high tech term available) strking bit as well which no doubt flexes on impact.
The side handled batons are a lot more substantial, and consquently are a tad heavier. They are also quite cumbersome, even the side handled models that are extendable can be a PITA, especially when getting in and out of a vehicle.
Side handled models do allow for more 'holds' and can be swung in a controlled manner as a deterrent.
The Asp / Casco are quite discreet when closed, and are easily drawn and extended with a flick. They may be no good for breaking car glass but they're quite effective when used on a suspect.

I would love to know how much the bill for damage was to the police vehicles in this incident, and whether the suspects ended up paying for some or all of this damage through the courts, I suspect not. The chase car was struck at the front, then the bike was more than likely written off, and finally the Omega would have suffered slight damage whilst shoving the Celica up against the wall.
No would be a very good bet here !
I know we grumble about Plod, but - GroovyMucker
I don't think the Magistrates would get their hands on this, apart from a good kick to help it on its way up to the Crown Court.

Clear Dangerous Driving (at least), not suitable for Magistrates' Court.

What the Judge would do with it, though, is anyone's guess.
I know we grumble about Plod, but - bell boy
good point GroovyMucker my local magistrates now do this regularly
and i am so pleased
I know we grumble about Plod, but - GroovyMucker
It does, of course, rely on the CPS getting the charge and the jurisdiction right.

It sounds as though your bench knows what it's doing, oldman.