Insurance Write-off advice - mini 30 owner
I'm assisting an elderly relative with a motor claim. Their N reg Vaxxhall Corsa Auto has been deemed beyond economical repair and the insurers have written asking for the V5, MOT, Insurance Certificate and keys. They say their engineer has not valued the vehicle yet (even though they say it is not worth repairing!) but they want to take it to free and safe storage. The car has dents to the passenger door, a broken wing mirror, gouged bumper mouldings and a broken rear light cluster but it is driveable. I guess the parts and labour charges would soon add up to the £1000 or so it is worth (according to Parkers price guide - presumably undamaged).
However this is where I need help, I've never dealt with a claim/write-off before. If the car was worth £1000 before the damage, what can I expect the insurer to offer my relative? What is fair in this situation? Is it open to haggling?
Presumably, if the insurer had repaired the car then it would be worth almost £1000 again so is this what my relative should get?
Any help would be great as I feel responsible but a bit clueless as to the best approach to take.

many thanks
Insurance Write-off advice - daveyjp
The insurance should offer what it will cost to replace. Their first offer will be low, so you need some idea of what it will cost to replace. Do an autotrader search (left hand side of this page) to get an idea. I doubt it's worth £1,000. A colleague has just bought one, also an N, for £650 - 65,000 on the clock.
Insurance Write-off advice - Altea Ego
wo hold on.

Small autos still fetch good money. Was the n reg one for 650 an auto? My mother was offered 1500 for her N reg clio auto by her garage.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Insurance Write-off advice - daveyjp
If I can find a 2000 W reg for less than a grand I'm not paying the same for one five years older.

Insurance Write-off advice - bell boy
If I can find a 2000 W reg for less than
a grand I'm not paying the same for one five years
older.

who is selling it? shed-s-rus? does it come with a tow rope?
Insurance Write-off advice - No FM2R
Assuming claiming under own insurance

Insurer will pay value of the car at the time of loss less any applicable excess. This excess can be claimed from the third party insurer if your relative was nto at fault. The attributed payout can be the replacement cost of a vehicle but is not neccessarily so - there are times when that is in appropriate. For a loss of this level they normally can't be bothered to try very hard and will offer the value as discovered in Glasses Guide or similar and apply any mileage and/or condition adjustments fairly harshly.

You should be armed with knowledge of what these cars go for in similar condition/age/mileage and prepared to argue the point. You are unlikely to shift them much, but its usually enough to be worth the argument. However, brace yourself. Although I have to say that occasionally and inexplicably a good offer is forthcoming, so you never know.

Do not stand in the way of the car being moved to free storage. If you do you can become liable for any further storge costs. However, other than giving my consent for it to be moved and offering a single set of keys if approriate, then they would go sing for anything else until such time as an offfer had been made and accepted - until that time the car is yours [ your relatives]. Offer them phtoocopies if they insist.

If you were claiming under TP insurance [although it sounds like you are not] then as above but with the added complication of the ownership of salvage. Its normally negotiable both ways and you should be prepared with sufficient knowledge as to whether you wish to keep the car and repair it yourself or prefer not.
Insurance Write-off advice - Dalglish
.. Any help would be great as I feel responsible but a bit clueless as to the best approach to take

>>

mini 30 owner :
my personal opinion as to the best approach to take - read the following article
www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/publications/ombuds...m

there are probably some other similar articles on that authoratative web site.

Insurance Write-off advice - mini 30 owner
I'd just like to say thanks to everyone for replying especially 'No FM2R', Daveyjp and Dalglish. Your advice was much appreciated and useful giving me bargaining information which looks like it will result in an offer of £900 ish which my relative will really be able to put to good use.

Muchas gracias