Avoiding Insurance Claim - Robgw
Last week my wife under instruction (as she is on a provisonal licence) scuffed a bumper of a parked car when practicing a manouver. We waited until the driver came back and showed her the 2 small 4-5 inch scratces on her bumper. The occupents of the car did not notice as it was so slow! We have received a letter from her Insurance company. Our insurance policy has a massive excess due to a) her licence and b) a voulentry XS to reduce the premiums. Therefore £500 xs... plus we will loose 2 years no claims etc etc. These scratches could cost us loads of dosh!

Therefore, can i contact her insurance and them to repair the damage and send me the bill direct, as it will work out cheaper this way. I have already told my insurance company, but i want to avoid using them to pay the bill..
Avoiding Insurance Claim - jc2
Yes.
Avoiding Insurance Claim - smokie
Yes but you may have to keep on their case to get them to provide details. Similar situation earlier this year with my daughter, she asked the ins co to advise when costs were known so she could choose whether to pay herself - never heard a word, but if we'd bothered chasing I'm sure they would have told us.
Avoiding Insurance Claim - martint123
The excess is for repairs to your car - not the other car.
Avoiding Insurance Claim - rustbucket
The excess is for repairs to your car - not the
other car.

Correct me if Iam wrong ,but I thought the excess is for a claim irrespective of which vehicle.
--
rustbucket (the original)
Avoiding Insurance Claim - Falkirk Bairn
If it is a scuff and not a real bash then the cheapest way to solve matters is Chips-Away or somebody similar - I had a fairly deep mark left on my car whilst parked - 5 years ago and it required a paint job - Chips-away came did the job and you cannot tell - even after 5 years which side of the bumper needed touching up - Cost then was £75.

I have no connection with Chips-awy other than as a customer (2 x in 7 years)
Avoiding Insurance Claim - kithmo
If it is a scuff and not a real bash then
the cheapest way to solve matters is Chips-Away or somebody similar
- I had a fairly deep mark left on my car
whilst parked - 5 years ago and it required a paint
job - Chips-away came did the job and you cannot tell
- even after 5 years which side of the bumper needed
touching up - Cost then was £75.
I have no connection with Chips-awy other than as a customer
(2 x in 7 years)

I agree, a palm sized deep bumper scuff on mine cost me £80 + vat, in June this year. Blended perfect and mine's a metallic.
Avoiding Insurance Claim - jdc
"Correct me if Iam wrong ,but I thought the excess is for a claim irrespective of which vehicle."

Correction coming up :

Excess is only payable when you have repairs to your own car, not the third party's vehicle.

jdc
Avoiding Insurance Claim - Altea Ego
SO how can you have an excess on a third party only policy?
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Avoiding Insurance Claim - Dalglish
... SO how can you have an excess on a third party only policy? ..

tvm - can you give an example, please?

afaik - third party only has to be fully funded by the insurer.
if you include fire and theft, then yes you might have an excess on the policy.

for example, see www.endsleigh.co.uk/car-insurance/types.html

Avoiding Insurance Claim - Adam {P}
I'm only third party and my excess is 550 quid.
Avoiding Insurance Claim - rustbucket
Excess is only payable when you have repairs to your own
car, not the third party's vehicle.

My policy states in the definitions of excess that is for any claim .But may be reclaimable if accident deemned not to be your fault. As it would appear that a lot of policy's also state from my brief search.
--
rustbucket (the original)
Avoiding Insurance Claim - No FM2R
>>Correct me if Iam wrong ,but I thought the excess is for a claim irrespective of which vehicle.

Depends.

Most usual is what is called an ADXS (accidental damage). This is only applicable where damage to your own vehicle is involved.

Howeevr, there may under certain circumstances be an ASXS (All Sections). This is deductable no matter what type of a claim is made. However, if the claim is TP Only then the insurer will have to pay out and then reclaim it from you directly. They normally request a cheque.

Thre will also frequently be differing excesses for Rugs and Clothing, Glass, Stereos etc and other personal effects.

You shoudl knwo what the position with your policy is.
Avoiding Insurance Claim - Robgw
Apprently the excess is payable as its our fault. My insurance company will have to pay for the damange to her car, hence accidental damage excess ( so in effect we are paying anyway).

Oddly enough our car is totally fine as the black part of the plastic bumper hit her colour coded part. Good call about useing a Scratch and chip mobile company. I will try that route.

I will report back! Rob
Avoiding Insurance Claim - Dalglish
>>> Apprently the excess is payable as its our fault. My insurance company ...

as it is definitley not animg and shaming, would robgw & rustbucket & adam please state which insurance company tehy are with. ( i am interested as i wish to enquire from those companies how their third party only policies operate ).

thanks.