I felt sorry for a Ferrari driver! - PhilW
Coming back south from "oop North" today I joined the M62 newar Howden, S Yorks. Rather peculiar junction, you go over the motorway to a roundabout, double back on yourself to the only exit from roundabout onto a downhill slip road. Near top of slip road was a police car, half on a very narrow hard shoulder, half on sliproad, with red lights flashing. Thought there might be a queue or something, but no, just cop with radar gun pointing towards motorway below. I joined a clear inside lane at 70 and was almost immediately passed by a lovely red Ferrari which was doing about 80 in the middle lane - well he wasn't going much faster than me anyway. He was being passed by a few cars in outside lane doing about 85 - 90 ish, maybe even faster. Could still see slip road in mirror and watched cops set off and blast along until after a while they were behind the Ferrrari now in inside lane and half a dozen other cars which had been going fater than him in outside lane but which had now moved into middle lane and slowed to 70. Cops overtook them all and pulled in front of Ferrari with all lights flashing. I went past just as they were stopping on hard shoulder.
But why him? There were at least 6 other cars who had gone down outside lane much faster, and yes I realise the Ferrari was doing over 70 so was breaking the law, but it did seem a bit unfair. Maybe they stopped him to tell him what a nice car he had.
--
Phil
I felt sorry for a Ferrari driver! - Micky
Red, then a colour, then another red .....
I felt sorry for a Ferrari driver! - Wales Forester
They just wanted a drool over the motor.
I felt sorry for a Ferrari driver! - Fullchat
Howden is in East Yorks - just! ;- )
--
Fullchat
"Howden is in East Yorks "

Don't know why I put S Yorks - of course Howden is in the East Riding!!
--
Phil
I felt sorry for a Ferrari driver! - Stuartli
The old story -envy.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
I felt sorry for a Ferrari driver! - Pugugly {P}
Or another more sinister reason of course. Hand held radar on a motoroway ??
I felt sorry for a Ferrari driver! - Baskerville
Maybe there had been some extreme naughtiness further up the road and these two were waiting for him...
I felt sorry for a Ferrari driver! - Altea Ego
Police canteen at refs......

PC jones queues up for his barm cake and tetleys.... "Hey george you wont believe what we pulled today"
George "Nah what"
Jones "A red ferrarri - got him just doing over the speed limit"
George "Nice one"
George (in a loud voice) "Hey guys Jonesy nabbed a ferrari today"

or

PC jones queues up for his barm cake and tetleys.... "Hey george you wont believe what we pulled today"
George "Nah what"
Jones "A red 1.8 vectra - got him just doing over the speed limit"
George "you sad constable you"
George (in a loud voice) "hey guys you wont believe what Saddo Jonesy nicked today"
(much whistling and heckling)

------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
I felt sorry for a Ferrari driver! - mike hannon
Dead right TVM. I guess a Ferrari's worth a lot of points in the police daily 'speed gun sweepstake'. I wonder how much they won for him. (Presumably it was a him).
I don't think colour has much to do with the 'sss'. Anything that looks remotely fast is fair game - he said sadly...
I felt sorry for a Ferrari driver! - Roger Jones
Maybe they had information about the vehicle unrelated to the apparent speeding -- stolen, vehicle involved in other unlawful activity, owner sought in connection with other matters, . . . ? Drivers of cars as conspicuous as this surely know they are easy targets and must be tooled up with radar-warning devices and always on the look-out for traps.
Or was it a hand held ANPR ?
I felt sorry for a Ferrari driver! - Adam {P}
Hand held speed guns on the motorway isn't unusual around here PU. Because I'm in Greater Manchester/Lancashire and Merseysde nearly every day it's rare not to see one.

Manchester are the worst - they'll park in ridiculous places and set up the speed trap. I didn't even know hand held ANPR existed. What benefits would that give over the roof mounted system?
archive.thisislancashire.co.uk/2004/4/29/493293.ht...l
You learn something new every day!
BUT!

The traps I've seen are all speed traps solely. (The LTi 20-20 on it's own).. So it looks like this new plan to stop real criminals died a quick death.
I felt sorry for a Ferrari driver! - Bill Payer
Or was it a hand held ANPR ?

The OP said it was a hand held radar gun - which most people are familiar with. There was no suggestion it was a camera.

I reckon TVM has it right.
"OP said it was a hand held radar gun " "no suggestion it was a camera"
That's because OP didn't know there was such a thing as a hand held ANPR thingy!
--
Phil
It was only a suggestion - no need ot bite me 'ead off !
PU,
Sorry, didn't mean to - thought I was just showing MY ignorance!! ;-)
--
Phil
Arrgh Not you PW !
Me?
Gawd - No Bill Payer !
Bill Payer?

(Sorry - I'm bored!)