Nissan Almera - Terrible headlights - GregSwain
With the nights drawing in, I've been driving with my headlights quite a bit lately. And I have to say, compared to my old Sunny and my girlfriend's Clio, the Almera's headlights are absolutely awful. I have them pointed as high as possible, yet they only light a small distance in front of me. Aiming them lower makes them even worse.

They passed the MOT in March, so it shouldn't be a defective reflector or anything like that. Plus, the lights on my mum's (newer model) Almera are just as bad. My bulbs are the normal old-fashioned headlight type (usually called bulb 472) - any suggestions how to make them better? Uprated bulbs? ....or is there a way of changing the beam alignment further than the electric thingy inside the car can manage?
Nissan Almera - Terrible headlights - pyruse
I had the same problem till the headlights were replaced a couple of months back under a warranty recall.
Since then the lights have been much better - the beam is brighter and reaches further, but of course I've no idea exactly what the difference is between the old lights and the new
Nissan Almera - Terrible headlights - jc2
If your current headlights are not halogen,it is possible to buy halogen bulbs with the old-type fitting;I've done this myself on several cars.
Nissan Almera - Terrible headlights - pyruse
The lights on all Almeras are halogen, as they are on almost all cars made in the last 15 years.
But it may be that there are better bulbs and/or reflectors available.
Or maybe there's some adjustment possible inside the light itself.
If your current headlights are not halogen,it is possible to buy
halogen bulbs with the old-type fitting;I've done this myself on several
cars.

They're halogen, it's the very common bulb with the old-type fitting (big long one with 2 filaments). It was used on a lot of cars in the 90s.

I wasn't sure whether cars with electronic beam adjustment were also manually adjustable, I'll have to have a look before spending a fortune on extra-bright bulbs.
Nissan Almera - Terrible headlights - bathtub tom
"I had the same problem till the headlights were replaced a couple of months back under a warranty recall."

I think this only refers to the current model - the dip-beam looks like a bulls-eye lense. From about 2003 model on.

several years ago, I was able to separate the lense cover from the reflector (a Maestro I think) and gently clean the silvering, surprising how much muck came off. It improved the lighting.
Nissan Almera - Terrible headlights - Martin Wall
Halfords stock the 472 bulb at standard, up to 30% brighter and up to 50% brighter varieties - at increasing prices. Might be worth trying an upgraded bulb? Although the key phrase is 'up to...' i.e. might be the same, might be a bit better, might be a lot better.....

Maybe part of the bulbs have burned out as these have two filaments.

A google found: www.consumabulbs.com/files/bdet.php?id=109 which is much cheaper than Halfords

Also: www.carbulbs-direct.com/index.asp?function=DISPLAY...4

among many others

Please don't get the 'boy racer' blue tinted bulbs though!

Nissan Almera - Terrible headlights - Stuartli
Another good source for bulbs is:

www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/home.php

Not used this company but may be worth investigating:

www.powerbulbs.co.uk/

which has a BOGOF offer on pairs of some bulbs.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Nissan Almera - Terrible headlights - bell boy
if you want the best and want them to last then stuartli's first link i see do osram bulbs
i recommend them.........
Nissan Almera - Terrible headlights - Big John
Auto Express did a test on headlight bulbs a while ago, Osram Silverstars +50 came top. I've replaced the H4's in my Octavia and H7's in my Superb, vast improvement!
Nissan Almera - Terrible headlights - Aprilia
For about £100 you can get a Chinese-made HID headlight upgrade kit off Ebay (pair). Includes bulbs, ballasts and all wiring. No idea how good they are or their legality - but might be worth looking into....?
Nissan Almera - Terrible headlights - Hamsafar
I agree these are H4 bulbs right? they seem to benefit most of all from the Osram 50%+
Avoid other bulbs claiming to be mega brite and such rubbish and stick with Philips or Osram.

The HID idea is also good. I fitted a HID kit to my Passat, because I had got used to them on my previous car of many years, there were no problems with beam pattern changing etc.. and it looks totally stock.
Nissan Almera - Terrible headlights - Pete M
I thought that legally, all HID systems have to have beam-levelling mechanisms. Do the retro-fit kits have this?
Nissan Almera - Terrible headlights - yorkiebar
Osram are good etc but....

instead of halogen 472, you should try xenon 472; same wattage, fittings etc.

Any decent motor factor should be able to supply at sensible prices.

Personally never had a problem with xenons from any supplier (tried loads through rally use etc)

Dont always be fooled by the brand label; often sourced from other places and own labels stuck on!
Well I've now upgraded the bulbs, Halfords had a special offer on their "50% brighter" Xenon bulbs, 2 bulbs for £15, normally £15 each (which I think is a bit excessive for a piece of glass with a curly wire inside).

The marking on the cheapy ones was indeed E13, thanks for that bit of advice, the ones I bought have E1 markings. They're a hell of a lot brighter, but there's still a beam-alignment issue - it's just too low. When it stops raining I might go out and have a play.

Thanks for all the advice - if nothing else I now have much brighter headlights. Halfords own brand products usually seem quite decent, if a little pricey.
Nissan Almera - Terrible headlights - AR-CoolC
I thought that legally, all HID systems have to have beam-levelling
mechanisms. Do the retro-fit kits have this?

Only new cars made with HID lamps have to have the washers and self leveling systems, aftermarket conversions don't need to comply.

There are a few owners on the Seat forum I frequent that have carried out HID conversions and passed MOT's with no problem.
Just went up to my local independant garage, the headlights were at the lower end of the 2 marks on their beam-alignment machine, so they kindly moved them to the higher marking. Hopefully I'll be able to see in the dark now!