Peugeot 406 indicating left by itself - GregBlack
My Peugeot 406 HDI (2000 X) has started indicating left by itself at seemingly random points. Quite often the left hand indicator is on when I switch on the ignition. Start the engine and it stops.

Sometimes when driving along it starts up. Switching the stalk down and then cancelling it back turns it off. Also a slight nudge upwards on the stalk turns it off. This made me think that the stalk is worn and/or there is a short in there. I took the cowling off the steering wheel but wasn't brave enough to remove the screws holding the cover on the black box thing.

I also wondered whether a weak battery could cause these electrical maladies. It is the original (almost 6 years old) and the car does a lot of short journies.

Any ideas gratefully received. I'll be visiting my trusted independent next week.
Peugeot 406 indicating left by itself - jc26
Sounds like your indicator stalk switch is knackered and needing replaced. My Citroen ZX did the same thing a while ago and thats what caused it. Just the slightest nudge of the stalk made it come on even when it didn't move up or down. If you are confident in fiddling with the steering column you should be able to get one from your local scrappies and do it yourself. Hope this helps

John
Peugeot 406 indicating left by itself - stuartl
I had a similar problem on my Citroen Xantia and a mate with a Pug 306 had the same.

Its the indicator stalk causing the problem I'm sure. On mine the relay used to click very fast as well when the problem showed but my indicator lights never actually illuminated.
Peugeot 406 indicating left by itself - Quinny100
It's almost certainly the stalk - very common on Peugeot and Citroen cars. GSF do OE replacements much cheaper than the main dealer.
Peugeot 406 indicating left by itself - GregSwain
Tip the car on its roof. If the right indicator comes on, you need a new stalk ;-)
>>Tip the car on its roof. If the right indicator comes on, you need a new stalk ;-)

Nice one. I said to the wife we should just turn left whenever it indicates. It would be interesting to see where we ended up - probably over a cliff if French electrics are anything to go by! Thanks for the suggestions guys.
Peugeot 406 indicating left by itself - Simon
Dodgy stalks are certainly a common problem on Peugeot's. I've heard of many people who have suffered similar problems like yours.
Just to post the outcome of this in case anyone else has a similar problem. It was indeed a worn indicator stalk. Replacement stalk and fitting was 50 quid. Job done.