Replacing Corroded Battery Cable VW Polo - gramar
VW Polo TDI 90 - 2 years ago the main positive feed cable from the battery to the starter corroded through where the wire connects to the spade terminal at the starter end. For a fiver an auto electrician replaced the spade. However this required cutting off the old spade thus leaving the cable a fraction shorter when refitted with a new spade. Now today the 'new' spade has fractured through. A new cable costs around £60 so being of the old school I'm wondering is it practical or wise to just cut back the old cable and seal it off and then run another cable from battery to starter bypassing the old one? and save some money.
REPLACING CORRODED BATTERY CABLE - defender
yes ,just replace it with 200 amp welding cable which from memory the last bit I bought was about £5 per metre
REPLACING CORRODED BATTERY CABLE - steveo3002
try www.vehiclewiringproducts.co.uk they have ready made cables ,straps and ends and sell wire by the meter, you should be able to make a nice tidy repair for a fraction of the cost of a new one

oh and they do a free catalogue too
REPLACING CORRODED BATTERY CABLE - defender
thats a very usefull link steveo ,not too bad on price for some things
REPLACING CORRODED BATTERY CABLE - jc2
Halfords(and most car accessory shops) sell ready made cables in different lengths and both colours.
REPLACING CORRODED BATTERY CABLE - steveo3002
yes vehiclewirningproducts are a good place to deal with....if ever you get caught out with a wierd connector , you can mail it to them and they will match it up

well worth having a catalogue handy
Replacing Corroded Battery Cable VW Polo - gramar
Thanks to you all for your advice - my local auto electrician stepped into the breach again and removed the remains of the old connector, refitted another one and this time he's moved the battery about an inch allowing the cable a little more slack. Fingers crossed but so far its Ok . Cost minimal.