How much forward gear whine is normal? - Rob E
Hi all,

I have a 2004 Daihatsu Charade 1.0SL, 20K miles. In first gear especially, there is very noticeable transmission wine (almost like the amount you would get in reverse). It is not as bad in second, and not noticeable in 3rd or above. Is this a normal characteristic of a small engined 3 cylinder car, or is it the sign of a faulty 'box? The car will be serviced soon, so I think I will raise it with the dealership as the warranty runs out in March. Very occasionally 1st gear is difficult to select.

Also, when pulling out to the right, a clicking/ scarping noise can be heard. This happened before and a driveshaft was replaced under warranty. I have since taken it back and they assure me the driveshafts are fine. Any ideas?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Rob.
How much forward gear whine is normal? - Saltrampen
I used to have a 93 model Corolla that whined in 1st gear. Whine was reduced by 50% when anti friction type additive was added to gear oil, although was still there. Despite the whine, the gearbox outlasted the engine (130k). Conversely a friend's Micra (all 1990's Micras from what I have heard) seem to need a replacement gearbox halfway through the life of the car.
I suggest comparing with another similar Car at the dealers...if it is very different then try warranty but maybe hard to get anything done unless it has failed. Other options as above, use additive and /or change gearbox oil.
Seems like jap gearboxes (especially in the 1990s) tend to be more noisy than others.

Scraping noise - try getting it on axle stands or ramp and then spinning wheels when wheels pointing right.
If no noises then it must be something that happens under load, so persist with garage.
Otherwise it could be bent disc splash guards or loose mudguards etc..all of which are easily spotted and repaired.
How much forward gear whine is normal? - dylan
Our 2003 Charade 1.0EL doesn't have this whine in first gear (or if it does, I haven't noticed it). It *does* have the issue of very occasionally 1st gear being hard to select, though letting out the clutch to biting point usually lets it drop into gear. I've had this on many cars so don't really consider it to be a problem.

We also had the driveshafts replaced under warranty some time ago - the symptom was a creaking noise when turning sharply to the right. There's been no noises or problems since the replacement.

How much forward gear whine is normal? - TimOrridge
In regards to gearbox, not sure

In regards to scraping, could be the wishbone bushes (had a similar problem with mine) or a break disk guard if yours has one (agree with last post) or wheel arch might have dropped off stud?

REgards,
How much forward gear whine is normal? - dylan
Sorry, I take it back, our Charade *does* have a whine in first gear. I just hadn't noticed it. Guess it's just a characteristic of the gearbox.
How much forward gear whine is normal? - Rob E
Hi,

Many thanks for your replies, it's encouraging to know my Charade isn't the only one with these faults/ characteristics. Will definitely mention the creaking sound at next service.
How much forward gear whine is normal? - jag
every car i have had seemed to have a whine the faster i went but only noticeable when the wife was in the passenger seat. jag.
How much forward gear whine is normal? - jase1
every car i have had seemed to have a whine the
faster i went but only noticeable when the wife was in
the passenger seat. jag.

Heh.

Have to say that both my cars have whiney second gears, especially on the overrun, although when I point it out to others they say "what whine?", so maybe it's just me.

As long as the whine doesn't get any worse over time I think it's nothing to worry about. It's only a function of the way the individual teeth mesh together anyway, and I reckon that a lot of the reason why gearbox whine is more noticable on early 90s Jap cars is that the engines are much quieter than the Euro competition and so less soundproofing was put in the smaller cars to save money. As all gearboxes whine to some degree (by definition) this lack of soundproofing means you hear more of it.

To prove this, listen to cars from outside as they slow down. Plenty of Fords, Pugs etc make a whiney noise on overrun but you don't hear this noise from the inside. Conversely, every Daihatsu I've been in (3 of them) have sounded whiney inside, but you can't really notice the noise from the outside.