Be careful out there... - Robin Reliant
Driving test fraud has surged to 'terrifying' levels, putting millions of innocent lives at risk, a Daily Mail investigation reveals. Illegal immigrants and other criminals use easily-forged ID to book a test, then pay a lookalike up to £1,500 to pass for them. Experts say the driving licence they receive allows them to 'wreak havoc'.

tinyurl.com/ovo9n {Shortened link to "www.thisislondon.co.uk" }
--

{text added from the link to give people a clue before deciding whether to click on it or not - DD}
Be careful out there... - PoloGirl
"a Daily Mail investigation reveals"

Says it all really.

I can't believe that the people who work in test centres can't even check a photo ID properly.
Be careful out there... - Altea Ego
£1500? thats a good living.

Dang my driving is so awfull I would probably fail, and I am so ugly that no-one could look like me.

Back to pooters I spose.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Be careful out there... - Avant
"£1500? that's a good living."

Certainly is - you can buy a 10-year-old Polo with 100k on the clock for that much.

Be careful out there... - bell boy
not if pologirl is selling it .................
"a Daily Mail investigation reveals"
Says it all really.
I can't believe that the people who work in test centres
can't even check a photo ID properly.

The 4830 practical tests that last year had to be halted because of doubts over the candidates identity are official DSA statistics.

--
Be careful out there... - martint123
Those 4830 should be in jail/deported then!.

I always wonder about the timings of these reports when discussion of ID cards is about to come up again.
Be careful out there... - mss1tw
£1500 buys a lot of driving lessons, why would you bother?
£1500 buys a lot of driving lessons, why would you bother?

A lot of driving lessons take time and effort and you have to pass a test at the end of it. Much simpler to just hand over the wedge and cut out the middle man.
--
Be careful out there... - Lud
I am seldom frightened by things the Daily Mail thinks should scare me.

The case of the Somali bus driver's nice little earner is at the centre of this yarn.

I believe the people he was acting for in most cases would have been pretty well illiterate in English. It was the written part of the test that he did for them.

How did it happen? Ask the people in the test centre and watch them trying not to answer: 'They all look the same to me'.

Back home, some of the bus driver's clients were probably highly skilled drivers of Toyota HiLux technicals with twin 50-calibre machine guns mounted in the bed. Just the background for Hyde Park Corner in rush hour.

Shut up Daily Mail. What about an attack on estate agents instead?
Be careful out there... - David Horn
Re: written test.

When I took it 5 years ago it was on computer and available in about 200 languages, and the option of an interpreter was available. No excuse. Throw away the key etc.
Just in case you think otherwise, DH, I wasn't excusing test cheating by Somalis or anyone else. Just snooting the Daily Mail for its very consistently nasty right-wing attitudes.
Be careful out there... - David Horn
Just in case you think otherwise, DH, I wasn't excusing test
cheating by Somalis or anyone else. Just snooting the Daily Mail
for its very consistently nasty right-wing attitudes.

In that case, please do continue!
>Well I thought politics wasn't allowed on this website but as everyone else is having a go.

Sorry - this thread just got a whole lot shorter. Stick to the topic, or at least motoring, please. PG
Be careful out there... - Pete M
A very similar problem exists here in New Zealand, where at least one driving test examiner has been convicted of taking money and passing people on tests they should have failed. Here the problem is not Somalis, though we do have a few. Mostly it's those from Far Eastern countries, where it would seem that slipping some dollars to the right people is the way to pass your test. Obviously the've tried to import this method here. The way that some of them drive here makes it obvious that they've never been taught to drive and wouldn't pass a proper test.
Be careful out there... - Collos25
Just snooting the Daily Mail for its very consistently nasty right-wing attitudes.
Are you frightened to hear a little truth or is it a lie and there are no false driving licences.
I'm sure there are more than enough AB, and people driving without any licence at all.

But I don't think I'll bother to look in the Daily Mail, however little truth I want to hear. I prefer it unadorned with stuff like 'illegal immigrants and other criminals'. A rag, worse than the Sun really.
Be careful out there... - Martin Devon
Mostly it's those from Far Eastern countries, where it would
seem that slipping some dollars to the right people is the
way to pass your test. Obviously the've tried to import this
method here.

I thought they were supposed to be skint that's why they export themselves.

This country's gone to hell in a hand cart!.............P.O....MD.
Be careful out there... - quizman
With the greatest respect PoloGirl, you started it with your reply 2.
If my responce is deleted why is Lud's still in.
I hate all this Daily Mail readers are racist bigots etc. I am proud to read the Daily Mail and support the majority of it's opinions, like millions of other people.

The subject that started this thread seems to be true as it is in several other papers.
Hey, qm, I got at least one post deleted by PG.

And I didn't say anything about Daily Mail readers, just the paper. Speaking as a Telegraph-reading old lefty, I often get this from former acquaintances and old friends. 'You are what you eat.' Load of carp. People who adopt their views ready-made from newspapers are helpless muppets, and I'm sure you aren't any such thing.

You can read any paper you want, just as long as I don't have to! But remember that the Telegraph has the best motoring supplement (NB moderators).
Be careful out there... - quizman
>>>But remember that the Telegraph has the best motoring supplement (NB moderators).

That's what I said, but it was cut.
So we're on the same side on one thing at least qm... :o)
One chuckaway comment is fine, but when it descends in a full on analysis of the political leanings of the various papers, it strays too far away from motoring. As ever, if you've got a problem with the moderating of this site, take it to moderators@honestjohn.co.uk.

But at the end of the day, it's my edit button ;)

Absolutely no problem whatsoever PG. It was quite clear those posts were deleted because topic drift had taken them away from the Jalopy and towards forbidden zones. I'm cool with it.

Ask Honest John

Value my car