importing from usa - jon
not a question about cars but someone who has imported an american car might be able to help me.
I am considering buying a new boat which is made in the usa, looking on the internet at the price there is a saving of several thousands.
Has anyone got any information on taxes to be paid and shipping costs etc?
Re: importing from usa - Alwyn
Call your local Customs and Excise Office for duty payable and a freight forwarder for transport costs. (Yellow Pages)

The US supplier should also know the answers to this but make your own checks in case you get caught out.

Biggest thing I have imported from the US is a radar detector which saved me over £100. Ordered on Sunday, arrived on Thursday.

Good service or what?
Re: importing from usa - RogerL
But does a US radar detector work with UK radar frequencies?
Re: importing from usa - Tomo
"But does a US radar detector work with UK radar frequencies?"

Roughly yes, but it detects all sorts of nuisance non-radar signals which are on frequencies used for radar in USA.

Valentine One could be converted for UK use; perhaps others.
Re: importing from usa - Alwyn
Rogre,

Of course it works with UK frequencies or I would not have bought the thing.

Bel 980
Re: importing from usa - Tomo
Not motoring, I suppose, but I used to get an American radio magazine, and it was curious how often the dollar price there was exactly the pound price here of the same item.
Re: importing from usa - Idris Francis
I imported a 1939 Alvis rolling chassis that had lost its body when the rood of a barn holding 200 cars collapsed after a freak snowfall. I rebuilt it from 1995 to 1997 as a 2 door Van den Plas tourer (will be featured in the summer in a ITV series on Hague, the acid bath murderer of the 1940s.

Anyway, back to the point. In a container of its own the transport charges by ship were about £1000,

No duty as of UK origin, but Vat on price plus frieight

To save £3000 should be well worthwile

Will find detauls if you wihs

Idris
Re: importing from usa - THe Growler
Now is the time announce that my name is Haigh (correct spelling please Idris) and the gentleman to whom you refer was one of my uncles. Naturally the programme mentioned will be of family interest!
Re: importing from usa - Kevin

Jon,

can't help with import duty etc. but the shipping company I used to ship my Chevy from the US were very helpful and efficient. Search on the phorum for 'AAAUTO' and you should find details posted previously.

They weren't the cheapest quote I received, but alot of the other quotes did not include FULL insurance, handling fees, etc. etc.

Give them a call (have dimensions etc. handy) and see if they have experience shipping boats.

Have you looked into importing one from New Zealand ?

Kevin...
Re: importing from usa - Mike Harvey
It might sound daft, but can't you sail it over, or hire someone to do it? . I work with a chap that used to deliver boats by sailing them there.
Regards
Mike

Not being a naughtical type myself, I've just thought though it might not be a sea boat.
Re: importing from usa - Kevin

Mike,

I had similar thoughts, but I'm assuming it must be a cruiser and not a yacht. A small cruiser doesn't have the range for an Atlantic crossing and anything with a decent sized keel (and mast) is going to be damn expensive to ship.

The cheapest place to pick up a decent yacht at the moment is New Zealand and sailing back to the UK would be the experience of a lifetime. Might just put everything in storage and do that one day.

Kevin...