Whats the price of no MOT - Craig_1969
Say I have insurance, tax and but no valid MOT. Whats the likely fine/points, and is this picked up on ANPR?

I see you can drive a car blind and not get locked up so I suspect is going to be a slap on the wrist.
Whats the price of no MOT - DP
It will be picked up on ANPR now the MOT system is computerised. And you'll be done for no insurance as well, because it's invalidated by not having an MOT (unless on a direct route to or from a pre-booked test)

As for the penalty, I have no idea.

Cheers
DP
Whats the price of no MOT - Chad.R
>>.... And you'll be done for no insurance as well,
because it's invalidated by not having an MOT (unless on a
direct route to or from a pre-booked test)

Are you sure? - I always thought that you'd have 3rd party cover in that case.
Whats the price of no MOT - Statistical outlier
Mate of mine has a lawyer girlfriend. When his car did not have an MOT (as he knew it would not pass and wanted to run it until insurance ran out and then scrap it) he had her look into it for him.

Apparently you're fine on insurance, UNLESS something that would have failed the MOT has any contribution to an accident. Then you're uninsured and in the smelly stuff.
Whats the price of no MOT - horse
Yes chad you're right, most insurance policies will still cover the driver for 3rd party risks, though they require that the vehicle is in a 'roadworthy condition'. Also don't be so sure about ANPR. In some forces the control room at the police station can't instantly check MOTs without phoning.
Whats the price of no MOT - Craig_1969
Has the MOT computerisation roll out completed I wonder. It seems the fine is £60 no mention of points on google, makes the fee for an MOT seem expensive or the fine cheap. MY MOT Is up in October and if it fails I might have to use it for a week or two until I find another car. I know if I get it tested early and it fails I shouldnt be driving it.
Whats the price of no MOT - DP
I got this information from a traffic cop (in our bike club) last year. Not having an MOT is often seen by insurers as the vehicle not being in a roadworthy condition which is one of the main conditions of cover.

I asked the question when I had to take my ZZR which had been laid up for two years for a test and had no trailer or van. He told me to pre-book the test (the cops will check if you're pulled or crash) and advise the insurance company what I was doing. I did both.

Cheers
DP
Whats the price of no MOT - horse
theres no points for not having an MOT, just a small fine (set according to means) and court costs. Very minor indeed. Actually I've seen a home office consultation paper where they were proposing introducing a police caution for this offence in some cases to save money and court time.
Whats the price of no MOT - Stuartli
At Sefton, the magistrates used to hand out a far, far stiffer fine for having no MOT than no insurance according to local newspaper court coverage...:-)

May well still be the case but court coverage is very sparse in recent times.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Whats the price of no MOT - Westpig
having no mot is a fairly minor offence, with no points....

no insurance will give you a load of points...

amazing the amount of people who get given a 'producer', find they have no mot, panic, get a dodgy one... then get done for either handling stolen goods (if it's stolen) or uttering a forged instrument ( if it's a forged one) both of which are a criminal record...for ever.

Whats the price of no MOT - David Horn
ANPR can't check MOTs 'cos the computerised roll-out hasn't been completed yet. The local independent who does my car still issues me with an old fashioned A5 certificate.